- CPU: Custom ASIC containing an ARCTangent 5.1 CPU, running at 96MHz.
- Original Leapster: 2MB onboard RAM, 256 bytes non-volatile.
- Leapster2: 16MB RAM, 128kbytes non-volatile storage
- Media type: Cartridges of 4-16MB with between 2 and 512kb non-volatile storage.
- Graphics: No hardware acceleration.
- Audio: Proprietary hardware audio acceleration.
- Screen: 160x160 CSTN with touch sensing.
All of the software content for the original Leapster was created with Macromedia Flash MX 2004; the device runs an embedded Macromedia Flash player.