The AVC-LAN is part of the Body Electrical System Control and manages all audio and video related functions. The audio bus is described in Toyota's own words as follows:
AVC-LAN consist of audio visual systems such as the multi-display, navigation ECU, radio and player, stereo component amplifier and gateway ECU. Gateway ECU has communication circuit to correspond with different types of communication data. Different types of communication data can be shared among communication parts after it goes through gateway ECU (System Circuits: AVC-LAN Bus, “Prius Wiring Diagram” 80).
The system itself can be considered a subset of the IEBus Standard, which was delevoped by NEC electronics for automotive use. It is slightly faster than the BEAN bus and has more data per command, but is still much slower than CAN, since realtime speeds are not required.
- Prep 7uS
- Sync 20uS
- Data 13uS
(Jeremiah J. Flerchinger Source)
- HA12240 Differential Transceiver
- NEC uPD6708 IEBus (Inter Equipment Bus) PROTOCOL CONTROL LSI
- Marcin Slonicki AVC-Lan MP3 player]
- ATmega8 is clocked at 14.7456 MHz with an external crystal
- PCA82C250 CAN bus driver is used to drive the IEBus
- LM239 comparator is required on top of the PCA82C250 to read from the IEBus