This page has a few tidbits regarding the history of Android
- Google's Open Source Android OS Will Free the Wireless Web Wired article, June 2008
- Has a description of Rubin and Page's first meeting, and the overall Google strategy for Android
- Some additional commentary (see the last 4 paragraphs) are at: The forgotten history of Android
August, 2007 - Google acquires Android Inc.
- See Google Buys Android for Its Mobile Arsenal - Business Week, August 2005
- See I, Robot: The Man Behind the Google Phone - New York Times article about Andy Rubin, Nov 2007
November, 2007 - Creation of Open Handset Alliance
October, 2008 - The first phone, the G1, ships in the U.S.
April, 2009 - 1.5 update (codenamed "CupCake)
July, 2009 - Mentor Graphics acquires Embedded Alley
September-November, 2009 - Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Sony/Ericsson announce new Android phones
- November, 2009 - Google announces Maps Navigation program
- Business analysis: Google Redefines Disruption: the "Less than Free" Business Model