This page has links to news about the Android platform
Android News Portals
- Google's Rubin: Android 'a revolution' - CNet News May 2009
- "Android, Google's mobile operating system, doesn't generate revenue for the company, and likely never will--at least in the direct sense. But Andy Rubin, Google's director of mobile platforms, thinks Google and the world will benefit from any device created with the intent of getting more people onto the Internet, and isn't shy about explaining why the open-source approach chosen for Android holds the most promise of reaching that goal."
The Open Embedded Software Foundation (OESF) is an Android Consortium formed in Japan in February, 2009. It included 23 companies at startup, and has the support of Google.
- Cupcake (Android version 1.5) released
- Android 1.5 'Cupcake' starts arriving on G1s ComputerWorld, April 30, 2009
- Android 1.5 firmware available LWN.net, April 27, 2009
- HTC (the manufacturer of the Android Dev Phone) has posted a set of Android 1.5 images for the ADP1. There's also reasonably straightforward instructions on flashing those images into a phone
- Android ported to MIPS Linuxdevices, April 2009
- Embedded Alley has ported Android to the Alchemy MIPS processor.
- Android ported to various ARM processors (ARM9, ARM11 and Cortex-A8 based). Including e.g. OSK board, Nokia N800, Nokia N810, BeagleBoard and Gumstix Overo board.
- Samsung phone
- Samsung's Android phone to launch in Germany Linuxdevices, April 2009
- T-mobile ships more than 1 million G1 phones
- T-Mobile sells a million Android phones Linuxdevices, April 2009