Revision as of 20:53, 1 August 2012 by ThomasPetazzoni
Discussion around the organization of the Buildroot manual
List of topics that must be covered
- Explain the impact of the target architecture variant selection
- Explain the toolchain backends
- Explain the init systems
- Explain the /dev management strategies. Explain custom device tables.
- Explain the configuration of the kernel, and real-time extensions
- Explain the root filesystem types, with specific details on the special initramfs case
- Explain usage of the board/ directory
- Explain usage of post-build scripts, give examples (set a root password, etc.), and explain why it's better than custom target skeletons.
- How to add new packages
- The different package infrastructures
- Details on autotools-package infrastructure, on cmake-package infrastructure, generic-package infrastructure
- Details on how to write the Config.in files: when 'depends on' should be used, when 'select' should be used. How to properly handle dependencies on toolchain features (RPC, locale, etc.)
- Details on hooks
- Details on adding patches to packages
- Details on adding licensing information to packages
- Details on gettext/libiconv handling
- How to report bugs (bug tracker, IRC). Explain to include the .config file + 100-200 last lines of build log after doing a complete 'make clean; make'
- How to send patches.