CELF Project Proposal/Add behavior-oriented power management
- Add behavior-oriented power management
- Evgeny Ivashko
Every user has behavioral patterns. Behavioral pattern is the sequence of actions, running applications and so on. Some of these patterns are common and the others are individual. Knowing the patterns the program (that should be developed as the result of the project) can optimize the OS's behaviour to reduce energy consumption, response time and etc.
For example (common pattern), if user starts a video in the full-screen mode the program can automatically suspend some subsystems (like USB or CD/DVD-rom). Also the program can "hibernate" unused applications. Another example (individual pattern): if the user usually runs OpenOffice.org after the game or two of Mahjong, the program can automatically prepare the OS to quick start of the OOo.
The main result of the project should be the program (daemon) that can in (semi)automatic way change the power and application profiles, that should get
- reducing the device's energy consumption;
- reducing the OS's response time;
- reducing amount of used OS's resources.
This project should actively use results of such projects as:
- PowerTOP (http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/)
- BLTK (http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/bltk/)
The approach is well-proven in many different domains (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Mining#Notable_uses).
- This should take about 6 months.