A computer-on-module (COM) is a type of single-board computer(SBC), a subtype of an embedded computer system. It is also called System on ModuleSystem-on-Module as an extension of the concept of System on Chip (SoC) and lying between a full-up computer and a microcontroller in nature.
Today's COM/SOM modules are complete computers built on a single circuit board. The design is centered on a single microprocessor with RAM, input/output controllers and all other features needed to be a functional computer on the one board. However, unlike a single-board computer, the COM module will usually lack the standard connectors for any input/output peripherals to be attached directly to the board. Instead, the wiring for these peripherals are bussed out to connectors on the board.
The module will usually need to be mounted on a carrier board (or "baseboard") which breaks the bus out to standard peripheral connectors. Some COMs also include peripheral connectors and/or can be used without a carrier.
A COM/SOM solution offers a dense package computer system for use in small or specialized applications requiring low power consumption or small physical size as is needed in embedded systems.
Some devices also incorporate Field Programmable Gate Arrays.
The terms "Computer-on-Module" and "COM" were coined by Venture Development Corporation (Natick, MA, USA) to describe this class of embedded computer boards. The term became more notable upon industry standardization of the COM Express format.
A number of manufacturers offer products which are defined as system-on-module or computer-on-module. Among those are Advanced Knowledge Associates (www.a-k-a.net) in Santa Clara, CA; BCM Advanced Research (www.bcmcom.com) in Irvine, CA; Embedded Systems (www.embedded-systems.net); MEN Micro (www.menmicro.com) in Ambler, PA; DAVE Embedded Systems (www.dave.eu) in Italy, PHYTEC America in Seattle, WA.
- CIP - by tinayeit, That provide series of 40x40x4mm Size, Weight about 10g, the smallest and lightest Computer-In-Package in the World!
- CIP311 - by [http:www.tianyeit.com CIP311], TI 720MHz AM3359 based cost effective Application Processor,LQA242, 40x40x3.5mm
- CIP312 - by [http:www.tianyeit.com CIP312],TI 600/800/1G DM3730/OMAP3530 based cost effective Application Processor,LQA242, 40x40x3.5mm
- CIP411 - by [http:www.tianyeit.com CIP411],TI 1G/1.2G/1.5G OMAP4430/4450 based Dual Core Contetex-A9 Powerful Computer In Package,LQA242, 40x40x3.5mm
- SOM - by TECHOR.COM of China, series of 40x40x4mm Size, Weight about 10g, the smallest and lightest System-on-Module in the World!
- SOM2416 - by TECHOR.COM of China, Samsung 400MHz ARM926EJ-S based cost effective Application Processor,120pin out, 40x40x3.5mm
- SOM6410 - by TECHOR.COM of China,Samsung 667Hz ARM1176JFZ-S based cost effective Application Processor,120pin out,40x40x3.5mm
- SOM3530 - by TECHOR.COM of China, TI 600MHz CORETEX-A8 + 430MHz TMS320C64x+ dual core SOC/AP,120pin out, 40x40x3.5mm
- Mini8100 - by Timll of China, TI 600MHz CORETEX-A8 + 430MHz TMS320DM64x+ dual core,67 mm * 37 mm
- Mini8100 by Embest, TI OMAP3530 ARM Cortex-A8, 67mm*37mm
- Mini6045 by Embest, Atmel SAM9G45, 82mm*67mm
- Mini6245 by Embest, Atmel SAM9G45 ARM926EJ-S, 70mm*49.9mm
- Mini6300 by Embest, Atmel SAM9263 ARM926EJ-S, 52mm*52mm
- Mini9261-I by Embest, Atmel SAM9261S ARM926EJ-S, 67.6mm*47mm
- Mini3250 by Embest, NXP LPC3250 ARM926EJ-S, 75mm*55mm
- CSB7xx - by Cogent Computer Systems, Inc. of USA
- CM-XXX - by CompuLab of Italia
- Colibri Computer Modules - by Toradex of Switzerland
- e-con Systems eSOM Modules - by e-con Systems, Inc. of USA
- OMAPMOD by Magniel Inc., TI OMAP3503 / OMAP3530 CORTEX A8, 67mm x 44mm, stand-alone system in a 144-pin SO-DIMM format.