Kernel 3.4 to 3.10 porting guide
Revision as of 23:11, 10 July 2013 by Tim Bird (capture all the __dev macros that were removed in 3.8)
Here are some issues you may run into when porting something from 3.4 to 3.10:
- a whole set of __dev... macros are no longer used or defined
- Here is the list: __devinit, __devinitdata, __devinitconst, __devexit, __devexitdata, __devexitconst
- background: These attribute were used on certain driver and data declarations, putting them in a separate ELF section that could be discarded under certain circumstances. This functionality is no longer relevant, and the macros were removed in version 3.8 of the kernel. The macros should no longer be used.
- Just remove the attributes any place they are used.
- see this commit: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=54b956b903607
- sysdev.h is gone, along with all it declared:
- struct sys_device, struct sysdev_attribute
- arch/arm/include/asm/hardware/gic.h was moved to include/linux/irqchip/arm-gic.h
- change #include <asm/hardware/gic.h> to #include <linux/irqchip/arm-gic.h>