Kernel 3.4 to 3.10 porting guide
Revision as of 15:50, 15 July 2013 by Frowand (make subheader more distinct)
Here are some issues you may run into when porting something from 3.4 to 3.10:
- a whole set of __dev... macros are no longer used or defined
- Here is the list: __devinit, __devinitdata, __devinitconst, __devexit, __devexitdata, __devexitconst
- background: These attributes were used on certain driver functions and data declarations, putting them in a separate section that could be discarded under certain circumstances. This functionality is no longer relevant, and the macros were removed in version 3.8 of the kernel. The macros should no longer be used.
- Just remove the attributes any place they are used.
- see this commit: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=54b956b903607
- sysdev.h is gone, along with all it declared:
- struct sys_device, struct sysdev_attribute
- arch/arm/include/asm/hardware/gic.h was moved to include/linux/irqchip/arm-gic.h
- change #include <asm/hardware/gic.h> to #include <linux/irqchip/arm-gic.h>
- Remove MSM_ prefix from SSBI drivers
- impacts config options, file names, function names, types, etc
- Files are in drivers/, drivers/mfd/, drivers/ssbi/, include/linux/
- see this commmit: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=ce44bf5b5544c