Minnowboard:SPI Boot flash
the MinnowBoard uses a SPI based serial flash memory to load the initial code into the Intel Atom E640 series processor. The MinnowBoard uses a WinBond W25Q32 (datasheet) which has a total of 4096KB of storage which can be flashed with a UEFI image or other custom firmware.
the MinnowBoard has a 2x4 header that has 0.1" spacing for programming the SPI based serial flash memory.
|Pin number||Main Function||Note|
|1||+3.3V Power||Supports on +3.3V|
|3||nCS||Chip Select Active Low|
|5||MISO||Data Output from serial flash|
|6||MOSI||Data Input to serial flash|
|8||nPRG_EN||Program Enable Active Low|
Applications and Hardware
- Flashrom is an open source utility that allows you to work with the SPI based serial flash memory on the MinnowBoard.
- Flashrom supports a wide range of flash devices (Supported Hardware) including the WinBond W25Q32.
- Flashrom can automatically detect the presence of the WinBond W25Q32 and provide full read/erase/write functionality.
- Flashrom can use the many open as well as proprietary hardware tools such as
Updating MinnowBoard Firmware
In this section we will discuss how to update the default firmware on your MinnowBoard which is UEFI. You will also need a USB flash drive formatted in FAT32 format with a minimum of 8MB of free space for this guide.
1. Fire up your browser and go to the Intel MinnowBoard UEFI Firmware site as shown below in Figure -1:
2. Next click on the 'Download' button as shown in Figure-2:
3. You will then have to accept the MinnowBoard End User License Agreement as shown in Figure -3:
Download the MinnowBoard UEFI firmware from the Intel website as shown below. You will also have to accept a user agreement license before you can download the firmware.