Difference between revisions of "RPi HardwareHistory"
(→Model B Revision 2.0)
(→Board Revision History)
|Line 18:||Line 18:|
| Q3 2012
| Q3 2012
Revision as of 10:00, 20 October 2012
Hardware & Peripherals:
Hardware - detailed information about the Raspberry Pi boards.
Hardware History - guide to the Raspberry Pi models.
Low-level Peripherals - using the GPIO and other connectors.
Expansion Boards - GPIO plug-in boards providing additional functionality.
Screens - attaching a screen to the Raspberry Pi.
Cases - lots of nice cases to protect the Raspberry Pi.
Other Peripherals - all sorts of peripherals used with the Raspberry Pi.
Board Revision History
Find out your board revision with the following command: cat /proc/cpuinfo You will see your device data including: Hardware : BCM2708 Revision : 0003
Newest revision at the top of the list.
|Release Date||Model A/B||PCB Revision||Build Revision||Notes|
|Q4 2012||B||2.0||000?||512MB RAM|
|Q1 2012||B||Beta||Beta||Beta Board|
Model B Revision 2.0
Based on a new PCB layout that includes previous build fixes from ECN0001 such us removal of the poly-fuses in series with the +5V power for USB devices, and other fixes reported by the community such as the erroneous connection of the LAN9512 VDD18CORE pins to the +1V8 power plane, addition of the 8-pin P5 header (non-populated) for extra GPIO pins, addition to the 2-pin P6 header (non-populated) for a RESET button, and other changes and improvements reported in more detail .
ECN0001 is the request to not fit D14 and replace F1 and F2 with 0 ohm.
D14 can interfere with some CEC devices if the Pi is left plugged in and unpowered. The benefits of having it are minimal so it was removed.
F1 & F2 Replacement/Removal
F1 & F2 can cause problems with some USB devices which draw high current. In particular due to the recovery characteristics of the Poly-fuses, it can take a while to recover their low resistance state afterwards, adding additional problems for other devices (lower voltage on the USB bus).
Raspberry Pi Model-A Full Production Board
- Announced: Not Yet (as of 16 June 2012)
- Board will now have 256Mb of RAM rather than the originally planned 128Mb
- Foundation will probably produce a small Beta batch before handing manufacturing over to RS and Farnell
Raspberry Pi Model-B Full Production Board
- Announced: April 2012, first orders sent out June 2012.
- Manufacturing and Orders will be made through RS and Farnell
- This means a much higher volume of units will be produced and made available.
- Additional detail is available about the manufacturing and distribution agreement here video interview between Eben Upton and SlashDot here (28/02/12).
- Announced: September 2012, Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2.0 is now manufactured at Sony's manufacturing plant on Pencoed, South Wales. Full announcement from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, Element14 announcement on Raspberry Pi discussion board.
Raspberry Pi 1st Production Board
- Announced: 29th Feb 2012 - Start of Sale Only
- Credit-card Format
- Initial 10k Batch (All Model-B's) Manufactured in China (Jan/Feb 2012)
- Should look identical to the Raspberry Pi Beta Board below (except different SDCard holder).
- The board has a yellow RCA connector, rather than the black one used in the Beta's.
- Nokia/Qt Development group has donated vouchers for 400 RPi units for developers
- The batch was delayed several weeks due to the RJ45 network connector being substituted for the wrong part and also so the board could undergo compliance testing
Raspberry Pi Beta Production Board
- Announced: December 2011
- Credit-Card Format
- Manufactured in UK
- Produced 100 PCBs
- Characteristic feature of hand-modded correction to PCB 
- See the blog post which includes a video explaining how the production units will differ from the beta boards.
- Pre-production board (beta board) PCB, topside
- Pre-production board (beta board) PCB, underside
- Pre-production board vs credit-card
10 of the completed Model-B boards were auctioned on eBay (Started on 1st Jan 2012) )
Raspberry Pi Alpha Board
- Announced: August 2011
- Large Format for debugging (Model-B)
- Populated with headers for GPIO, JTAG, DSI, CSI, as well as switches and LEDs for I/O testing.
Raspberry Pi USB Prototype Board
- Announced: May 2011
- The "Computer On A USB Stick" Format
- Included built-in camera
- HDMI one end and single USB the other
- Introduced the RPi Foundation to the world (any earlier links appreciated), featured by BBC Online Video.
Raspberry Pi Concept 2006 edition
- Vero-board Prototype & PCB Version
- Atmel ATmega644 microcontroller clocked at 22.1MHz
- BBC iClick's Peter Price asks whether a £15 computer can solve the programming gap (6 minutes, 3 June 2011)
- Raspberry Pi's David Braben talks to BBC's Rory Cellan-Jones (2:28 minutes, 5 May 2011)
- Raspberry Pi community tutorials on YouTube
- Podcast of a phone interview with Eben about the project and the motivations behind it (15 minutes long.) (3 June 2011) Transcription here.
- Upcoming Board Revision
- New Pi missing D14
- Post-Launch - And breathe…
- We’ve started manufacture!
- Nokia has Raspberry Pi vouchers for 400 Qt developers
- Manufacturing Hiccup
- Compliance testing
- Populated boards: an update on where we are
- We have PCBs! BETA
- (hand-mod) More on the beta boards
- We’re auctioning ten beta Raspberry Pis!
- Beta board bought by anonymous bidder and donated to museum
- Paul Maunders - Raspberry Pi #8 First Photoshoot
- The alpha boards are here!
- Raspberry Pi – 2006 edition