Raspberry Pi Programming
Back to the Hub.
Software & Distributions:
Software - an overview.
Distributions - operating systems and development environments for the Raspberry Pi.
Kernel Compilation - advice on compiling a kernel.
Performance - measures of the Raspberry Pi's performance.
Programming - programming languages that might be used on the Raspberry Pi.
Programming languages, IDEs, etc
Tested on Alpha board
- gas (GNU assembler) 
- Mono (C#)
- Python 
- Ruby 1.9.2 (KidsRuby)
Tested on RPi
- Python 
Expected to work
- (maybe) BoaConstructor
- Anjuta for C/C++
- BBC BASIC
- Small Basic
- Squeak implementation of Smalltalk
- Other BASIC variants common to Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora etc. are all likely to work fine, including:
- Regina Rexx
- GalaxC programming language and XXICC "Chicken Coop" environment (works in progress)
See also: RaspberryPiBoard/EducationalLinks for education-friendly languages.
- Gambas - possibly a good choice; easy like old visual basic
- Android App Inventor
- Star Logo
- PrimerLabs CodeHero
- Lazarus I was working on LaZorOS4Pi a while back to provide a on-device IDE but I'm stuck with only a VGA monitor + chroot. Will pick it back up asap for it is a great combination. (Used: Fedora, Razor-QT desktop and Lazarus-QT+FreePascal. 2nd attempt => Funtoo)
- YAD 'Yet Another Dialog' for fast GUI scripting in BASH.
- EasyBashGui Want to keep it fast and simple than this is your tool. Goes even faster with the code snippets from Komodo Edit + BASH Menu plugin.
- BlueGriffon is a very slick WYSIWYG editor for HTML5.
Would Be Great If These Worked
- wvdial -- Dialer for Land-line, GSM, UMTS modems and other serial devices.
- VHDL -- VHDL (VHSIC hardware description language) is a hardware description language used in electronic design automation to describe digital and mixed-signal systems such as field-programmable gate arrays and integrated circuits.
- Verilog -- Verilog, standardized as IEEE 1364, is a hardware description language (HDL) used to model electronic systems. It is most commonly used in the design and verification of digital circuits at the register-transfer level of abstraction.
- Sugar Learning Platform: An alternative to the Desktop metaphor of the GUI
- Frink - A language that tracks units of measure through all calculations. If Java works, Frink will work. Frink runs under any version of Java 1.1 or later. Can work without GUI, with AWT GUI, or with Swing GUI.
See also Category:Education