Real Time Wiki
- Please note that the primary source of information for Real Time Linux information is the new RTWiki.
- Realtime Preemption - Ingo Molnar's patchset to add realtime preemption to the 2.6 Linux kernel
- Kernel Timer Systems - Various new proposals for changing the kernel timing system
- Soft IRQ Threads - Technology to put SoftIRQs in threads so they can be preempted.
- NOTE: Soft IRQ threads are now (Oct 2007) incorporated into the Realtime Preemption patch
- High Resolution Timers - A system to support timers with sub-jiffy resolution
- Variable Scheduling Timeouts - A system to support variable timeouts for periodic system activities (also known as Tickless)
- Building Embedded Linux Systems, 2nd edition discusses the realtime preemption patch.
- CELF Realtime Specification (from 2004, so it's pretty old)
- Realtime Preemption presentation by Manas at the 2005 CELF Technical Conference - Media:Real-Time-Preemption-Patchset.pdf
- Realtime Testing Best Practices - a document to show recent testing results, and give hints for how different tests are conducted and what pitfalls to avoid.
- Real time in embedded Linux systems
Further Open Source Projects
- Xenomai - Real-time development framework, closely cooperating with the Linux kernel. Among other features, it provides a migration path from various RTOSes like VxWorks, PSOS+, etc. to Linux based on so-called skins.