Rubus is a project to create a low-cost "classroom-in-a-box" by combining the Raspberry Pi with a lightweight Linux distribution, useful software, educational materials, peripherals and necessary storage. The intent is to produce and distribute them as a charity via donations.
Language localization is a secondary objective, very much based on what storage restrictions arise. It is understood that not everyone speaks English, but most educational material slated for inclusion has the most work completed in English, and even large areas of Africa speak it as a primary or secondary language.
The project lead is Andrew Crouthamel.
All hardware is as low-cost as possible while not sacrificing quality or durability. Another goal of the hardware choices are to keep the setup and maintenance as simple as possible.
- Raspberry Pi Model B - $35.00
- Raspberry Pi Case - $?
- Keyboard with built-in USB hub - $16.99
- USB mouse - $4.99
- RCA Composite video cable (6ft) - $1.28
- 32GB SDHC card - $25.99 (For OS, core applications, file storage)
- 64GB USB Flash drive - $56.99 (File storage, need more storage than this)
- TOTAL = $141.24 + Case ($?)
All core Operating System components are as lightweight as possible while still providing a pleasing and easy-to-use interface.
- Arch Linux ARM - Lightweight distribution, only install what we need.
- LXDE Desktop Environment - Lightweight Desktop Environment and included Openbox Window Manager
- LXDM Display Manager - Lightweight Display Manager for ease-of-use and possibly auto-login
- GRUB - Standard boot loader
All software is as lightweight as possible while still providing a pleasing and easy-to-use interface. The software chosen is focused around basic office needs and for educational use only.
- LibreOffice - Although uses more memory than other alternatives, the collection of features is tough to beat.
- AbiWord - Under consideration as an alternative to LibreOffice due to memory use.
- Gnumeric - Under consideration as an alternative to LibreOffice due to memory use.
- gElemental - Periodic Table software
Materials chosen are intended to be as useful as possible to a classroom or training environment in a small village or impoverished area.
- Wikipedia - offline copy running on local web server.
- Khan Academy - offline copy of site running on local web server or simple directory of videos.
- Global Village Construction Set
- Project Gutenberg Top 100 books in EPUB format.
- Wikibooks - Possible full inclusion or at least selected works
- Wikiversity - Possible select inclusions