Crouthamela 12:38, 31 May 2012 (UTC) The first Raspberry Pi has arrived and is now being configured. It is booting, and having the software added to it.
Rubus is a project to create a low-cost "classroom-in-a-box" by combining the Raspberry Pi with a lightweight Linux distribution, useful software, educational materials, peripherals and necessary storage. The intent is to eventually produce and distribute them as a charity via donations, as well as release Documentation on creating the image and providing it for download.
Language localization is a secondary objective, very much based on what storage restrictions arise. It is understood that not everyone speaks English, but most educational material slated for inclusion has the most work completed in English, and even large areas of Africa speak it as a secondary language.
The project lead is Andrew Crouthamel.
All hardware is as low-cost as possible while not sacrificing quality or durability. Another goal of the hardware choices are to keep the setup and maintenance as simple as possible. Below are example hardware items that may be used, if you know of a cheaper/better alternative please let us know!
- Raspberry Pi Model B - $35.00
- Raspberry Pi Case - $15.35
- Keyboard with built-in USB hub - $14.99
- USB mouse - $4.99
- RCA Composite video cable (6ft) - $1.28
- 64GB SDXC card - $59.95 (For OS, core applications, file storage)
- 64GB USB Flash drive - $45.99 (File storage)
- Micro USB power adapter - $3.99
- International power plug adapter - $9.99
- TOTAL = $191.53
All core Operating System components are as lightweight as possible while still providing a pleasing and easy-to-use interface.
- Arch Linux ARM - Lightweight distribution, only install what we need
- LXDE Desktop Environment - Lightweight Desktop Environment
- Openbox - Window Manager
- GTK+ - User Interface Framework
- Qt - User Interface Framework
- Bash - Shell
All software is as lightweight as possible while still providing a pleasing and easy-to-use interface. The software chosen is focused around basic office needs and for educational use only.
- Midori - WebKit-based web browser
- Pidgin - Instant Messaging client
- XChat - Internet Relay Chat client
- Claws Mail - Email client
- Wireshark - Network protocol analyzer
- Nmap - Security scanner
- Metasploit - Penetration testing software
- OpenSSH - Secure virtual terminal
- Transmission - BitTorrent client
- Filezilla - FTP client
- Liferea - Desktop news aggregator (RSS/Atom)
- Links - Console web browser
- MediaWiki - Wiki engine for displaying the Educational Material
- AbiWord - Word processor.
- Gnumeric - Spreadsheet program.
- Leafpad - Basic text editor
- Tomboy - Simple note taking
- Osmo - Personal organizer
- Galculator - Scientific calculator
- TuxMath - Math tutor for kids
- Maxima - Computer algebra system
- gnuplot - Graphing utility
- Octave - Numerical calculations system
- Gonvert - Graphical unit conversion
- Units - CLI unit conversion
- Aster - Civil and structural engineering software
- PSPP - Statistical analysis software
- gElemental - Periodic Table software
- Ghemical - 3D molecule editing/viewing
- BKChem - Skeletal molecule drawing program
- Stellarium - Beautiful planetarium software
- Celestia - 3D planetarium software
- XEphem - Astronomy ephemeris software
- Virtual Moon Atlas - Moon atlas
- Gpredict - Satellite tracking and prediction
- Geany - Integrated Development Environment
- Python (2 and 3) - Python Programming Language Interpreter
- Django - Python web development framework
- Biopython - Biological computation libraries for Python
- GCC - C Programming Language Compiler
- Ruby - Ruby Programming Language
- Ruby on Rails - Ruby web development framework
- Perl - Perl Programming Language
- PHP - PHP Programming Language
- Bas - BASIC interpreter
- Git - Version control system
- Subversion - Version control system
- MySQL - SQL database system
- PostgreSQL - SQL database system
- SQLite - SQL database system
- gEDA/gaf - Electrical Design Automation tools
- PCB - Interactive printed circuit board editor
- GTKWave - Wave viewer
- Icarus Verilog - Verilog simulation and synthesis tool
- gerbv - Gerber viewer
- gerasymbols - Repository of symbols, footprints and documentation
- ALSA - Audio system and drivers
- GStreamer - Multimedia framework
- Rhythmbox - Audio file management and playback
- Audacity - Audio editing
- GPicView - Image viewer
- GIMP - Image manipulation program
- Inkscape - Vector graphics program
- Dia - Diagram creation program
- MyPaint - Minimalist painting program
- Tux Paint - Children's drawing program
- GNU Chess - Chess client
- Foobillard++ - Billards/Pool simulator
- chromium B.S.U. - Arcade space shooter
- Neverball - Puzzle action game with a ball
- Frozen Bubble - Puzzle action game with color matching
- Tux Racer - Downhill racing game
- PCMan File Manager - File manager
- LXTerminal - Terminal emulator
- Vim - Console text editor
- nano - Console text editor
- XArchiver - Archive tools GUI
- ObConf - Openbox configuration tool
- Disk Usage Analyzer (Baobab) - Disk usage analysis tool
- Brasero - CD/DVD burning
Materials chosen are intended to be as useful as possible to a classroom or training environment in a small village or impoverished area.
- Wikipedia - ~31GB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Wikibooks - ~464MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Wikiversity - ~240MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Khan Academy - ~44GB - Directory of videos and example files.
- Global Village Construction Set - ~?GB - Unknown format.
- Project Gutenberg Top 100 (or more) books - ~30MB - Directory of files in EPUB format.
- Learn Python The Hard Way - ?MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Python Tutorial - ?MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Python Documentation (2 and 3) - 60MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Django Documentation - ?MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Learn Ruby The Hard Way - ?MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- Ruby Documentation - 318MB - Offline copy running on local web server.
- PHP Documentation - Offline copy running on local web server.
In order to be fully transparent, there is a full set of Documentation available, including installation instructions from scratch.
A complete set of images will eventually be available for the SD card and USB flash drives.
Volunteers are welcome, lots of work is needed on files collection, database and web server setup, performance optimization, desktop cleanup and simplification, documentation, advertising, fundraising, etc. Please contact Andrew Crouthamel to get involved.