Xilinx Development Tool Menus in Ubuntu 12.xx
Executing this has only sense when Xilinx Development tools are installed on your Ubuntu 12.xx system (running under Unity).
The attached "Xilinx_Menus_for_Ubuntu_12xx_Unity_Nov12.tar.gz" contains the necessary files to create a Xilinx Development menu system for Ubuntu 12.xx.
Xilinx development tools running on Linux never had a menus system like they have in Microsoft Windows. Often seen as a stumble stone for starting people. This setup tries to solve this issue.
The who setup can be carried out without having to open a terminal window or typing Linux specific commands.
Lets start putting the Xilinx menus in place:
- Download the "Xilinx_Menus_for_Ubuntu_12xx_Unity_Nov12.tar.gz" file and save it.
- Extract the file into a local folder on your machine.
- Two Directories will show up (with sub-Directories and files):
/.Local | <share> |<applications> | |Contains: .desktop files | |<icons> |<Xilinx> |Contains: Xilinx icons represented as .svg files
/opt |<extras.ubuntu.com> |<drawers> |...
- Open the Home Folder.
- Click second icon under the "Dash Home" button in the launcher bar.
- In that Nautillus browser window click on the "File System" icon,view figure 1.
- Now Select "show hidden files", in the "view" menu, view figure 2.
- Browse down to:
- Copy here the contents, all .desktop file, from the "application" folder of the uncompressed "Xilinx_Menus_for_Ubuntu_12xx_Unity_Nov12.tar.gz" file.
- Browse now to:
- Copy here the Xilinx folder from the uncompressed "Xilinx_Menus_for_Ubuntu_12xx_Unity_Nov12.tar.gz" file, view Figure 3.
- Paths in .desktop files must be absulte paths. Because I created this on my system, you will need to edit the files and change some path settings in the different .desktop files you just copied.
- Browse back to:
- Open a text editor (gedit, vim, or so).
- Load the first .desktop file.
- In the text several lines refer to: "/home/<USER>/.local/s....." replace the <USER> by the name of your home directory, usually your username.
- When the Xilinx tools are not installed in the default install directory, "/opt/Xilinx/1....." adapt this path to. (e.g. when the Xilinx tools are installed in /usr the path must look like: "/usr/Xilinx/1.....").
- Do this for all just copied .desktop files.
Now the last step!
- Install the small tool: Drawers.
- Start a terminal window and type:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ian-berke/ppa-drawers sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install drawers
- Start a terminal window
- Copy or move, as sudo, the folder "drawers". from the extracted "Xilinx_Menus_for_Ubuntu_12xx_Unity_Nov12.tar.gz" file.
In the same folder of your system. Starting from the home foders this can be done as:
sudo mv sudo cp -R <Foder_were_extracted_files_reside>/*
As last - Cherry on the cake:
- drag the "ISE Design Tools.desktop" (Xilinx Design Tools) file to the launcher bar. An icon with a stylish X as in figure 2 is now shown.
To start the menus:
- Just click the icon or right click the icon and select what's wanted.