Difference between revisions of "ZipIt"
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
The [[ZipIt]] be purchased from Radio Shack (The Source) for $99 or [http://www.amazon.com///?=&=-amazon] and other online retailers.
== How To... ==
== How To... ==
Revision as of 15:38, 29 September 2008
The ZipIt Wireless Instant Messenger is made by Aeronix and imported from China. The official site is at ZipItWireless.com. The ZipIt runs a custom IM app running under linux. The GPL/LGPL source code is available or documented. However, the object file for Zipit binary is not available for re-linking so they are in violation of the LGPL license for glibc.
There is an active community of users working to extend the functionality of the ZipIt. This group maintains this wiki and a Yahoo! group.
- Technical details of the ZipIt (hardware & software) can be found on the ZipIt Tech Details page.
- Details on modifications you can make to the Zipit (backlight, flash menory, ports) Zipit Hardware Mods
- Alternative software created by users is available ZipIt Software
The ZipIt might be purchased from Radio Shack (The Source) for $99 or amazon and other online retailers.
- A frequently asked questions list is available at ZipIt FAQ
- Add hardware features to your Zipit (e.g. backlight, clock, MMC/SD memory, etc.) Zipit Hardware Mods
- How to perform the 5-wire and 3-wire serial mods so you can alter the Zipit firmware: Zipit Serial Mod original website: http://aibohack.com/zipit/serial.htm
- How to flash new firmware via serial connection ZipIt Serial Flash
- How to flash new firmware with no hardware modification over WiFi. (only works on Zipits with firmware versions before 2.01) ZipIt WiFi Flash
- How to setup an NFS server for windows to update to any other distro for the zipit: ZipIt Winxp NFS]
- How to setup Adams software ZipIt Adam HOWTO
- How to compile new software for use on ZipIt: ZipIt Compile
- Tutorial on developing applications for ZipIt: ZipIt Developer Tutorial
- Sample program to write to framebuffer: ZipIt Framebuffer Example
- How to connect to WiFI networks from Linux command line: ZipIt WiFi Connect
- Information about Audio on the ZipIt: ZipIt Audio
- What to do when you use the wrong power supply www.openhardware.net
- Linux zipit tools zipit tools
- Cirrus EP7312-CR-90 (ARM720T CPU running at up to 90MHz)
- 2M flash - MX 29LV160ATxBC-70
- 16M SDRAM - Hynix HY5V26D
- 320x240x4 LCD (16 level gray scale)
- Agere WiFi chip - WL600114LY
- Wolfson Micro WM8751L Stereo DAC
- LPC915 (8 bit uP)
Zipit Comments Not On Yahoo
Additional Zipit Notes
External Articles & Reviews
- Greatly expanded information on installing the BURN3 and OpenZipIt firmware, especially from Linux.
- Many tech details have been moved to the ZipIt Tech Details page in order to simplify this main page.
- Added two How-Tos: ZipIt WiFi Flash and ZipIt Compile
- A software-only firmware modification is outlined in the former link.
- Keep checking the Yahoo BBS for the latest current status
- The core Linux components are now replaceable (including newer Busy Box, telnetd etc). Also a way of reflashing a non-solder modified device has been found.
- Eventually a software-only SDK will be released (soldering not necessary if you are careful with subsequent reflashing steps)