Volunteering to improve the wiki
Below please find links to various pages with information and ideas for content and feature additions to the eLinux wiki.
(Various lists have crept up over the years, lets try to gather links to them here:)
Lists of editor tasks:
- Volunteer editor tasks
- Embedded wiki issues list
- Create Wanted pages
- See also Special:Wantedpages
A lot of wanted pages are just dangling links from the Help pages, for pages that were not created when we initially set up the wiki. I think most of these types of pages can just be set to stubs. Alternatively, we can look at the MediaWiki site and copy the page from their site for these dangling help examples.
Another big set of wanted pages are for links between pages that were copied from the old CELF public wiki to here. This was done with some automated tools, which I think made some errors in the translation from MoinMoin to MediaWiki. If the legacy CELF page exists in this site, the link on the "requesting" page just needs to be repaired. If there is not matching page, then the link should just be removed.
Just for fun, I'm keeping track over time of some metrics:
|Date||Wanted page count|
|Dec 12, 2008||233|
|April 6, 2009||241 (why up?)|
To de-orphan a page, follow the link to the page, and create a link to it from an appropriate other page in the wiki. Before doing that, check to make sure that the information on the page is not duplicated somewhere else in the wiki (maybe by doing a search). Alternatively, sometimes the information can be
|Date||Orphan page count|
|Dec 12, 2008||122|
|April 6, 2009||134 (what the heck?)|
Lists of administrator tasks:
- Elinux issues - miscellaneous ideas of things to do
Resources for volunteers and wiki administrators
To communicate with other elinux wiki volunteers, editors and administrators, please join our
- Mailing list
- History page - has information about how we got here and why. Also, has links to pages used for previous activities, like contests and promotions.
Ideas to encourage contributions
systems to facilitate exiting content review
- create email system that people can subscribe to, to review wiki pages a little at a time
systems to facilitate addition of content
- ability to bounce an LKML email to a collector, possibly adding a tag
- collector would post to wiki, with tag
- ability to forward and LKML email to a site, which returns you a URL (on e.g. lkml.org) for that message
- This makes it easier to link to an LKML message or thread.
- ability to rate LKML messages on a web site
We don't really have an official mechanism for donations of money.
We are, however, looking for donations of items we can use for prizes for some of our upcoming contests. Embedded Linux-based products, or tools or books related to embedded Linux, would be most appreciated.
Tim is available at: tim (dot) bird (at) am (dot) sony (dot) com. Bill is available at: wmat (at) naoi (dot) ca.