- 1 Devkit8000 Board Overview
- 2 Hardware
- 2.1 Onboard Interfaces and Connectors
- 2.2 Hardware Features
- 2.3 Main Chip Introduction
- 2.4 Video Display
- 2.5 USB OTG (Mini-AB) Wire Map
- 2.6 Camera Interface
- 2.7 Expansion Interface
- 2.8 LayOut
- 2.9 Dimension Drawing
- 2.10 Function Block Diagram
- 2.11 Optional Function Modules
- 2.12 JTAG Tool
- 3 Software
- 4 Devkit8000 Evaluation Kit Overview
- 5 FAQ
- 6 Other Embest Products based on TI Processors
Devkit8000 Board Overview
Embest DevKit8000 Evaluation Board is a compact board using TI's OMAP3530 600MHz ARM Cortex-A8 (600MHz ARM Cortex-A8 core paired with a 430MHz TMS320C64x+ DSP core) microprocessor. It takes full features of this processor and supports up to 256MByte DDR SDRAM and 256MByte NAND Flash as well as high-speed USB2.0 OTG function. The board has exposed many other hardware interfaces including RS232 serial port, LCD/TSP, DVI-D, S-Video, Ethernet, SD, keyboard, camera, SPI, I2C and JTAG. The board has two methods to boot the system from either SD card or NAND flash. It is able to support WinCE and Linux OS and provided with WinCE6.0 BSP and Linux2.6.28 BSP. Embest also provides demos of Google Android OS, Angstrom (GPE) and DVSDK for user experience.
|Devkit8000 Evaluation Board||Devkit8000 + 4.3 inch LCD Android Demo Display|
Onboard Interfaces and Connectors
- Dimensions: 110mm x 95mm
- Working temperature: 0°C to 70°C
- Processor: TI OMAP3530 microprocessor with 600MHz ARM Cortex-A8 RISC Core
- Power supply: +5V
- 256MB DDR SDRAM, 166MHz
- 256MB NAND Flash, 16bit
- LCD/Touch Screen interface (50-pin FPC connector, support resolution up to 2048*2048)
- DVI high-resolution image output port (HDMI interface, support 720p, 30fps signal)
- S-Video display interface
- One audio input interface (3.5mm audio jack)
- One 2-channel audio output interface (3.5mm audio jack)
- One 10/100M Ethernet interface (RJ45)
- One High-speed USB2.0 OTG port (Mini USB type interface)
- One High-speed USB2.0 Host port (USB A type interface)
- Two serial ports (one 3-wire RS232 serial port led out from 2.54mm 10-pin connector and one 5-wire TTL serial port led out from expansion connector)
- SD card interface (supports 3.3V and 1.8V logic voltage)
- One camera interface (30-pin FPC connector, support CCD or CMOS camera)
- 6*6 keyboard interface
- One 14-pin Jtag interface
- Four buttons (Reset, Boot, User defined, On/Off)
- One expansion connector (2.0mm 40-pin SMT Female Pin Header, McSPI, McBSP, I2C, HDQ, GPIO are led out from this connector)
Main Chip Introduction
|Processor||OMAP3530CUS||0.65mm CUS package|
|Memory||MT29C2G48MAKLCJA-6IT||256MB DDR/256MB NAND Flash, 137-Ball TFBGA, Mark:JW305, Micron|
|Power Management Chip||TPS65930BZCH||Extended power management, RTC, USB OTG, Audio, 6*6 Keyboard|
|DVI-D||TFP410||HDMI connector, output DVI-D signal, not including audio|
|Ethernet||DM9000||RJ45, 10M/100M adaptive, at present testing speed can reach 36M|
|Serial port||MAX3232 CSE||RS232|
DVI high-resolution display (HDMI interface, 30fps signal), Embest provides a HDMI to DVI-D cable in complete configuration for connection. Signal does not include audio signal.
S-video display, can output video signal but not including audio signal.
24-bit LCD display, can output true-color RGB signal, R:B:G=8:8:8, can support resolution up to 2048*2048 pixels. (50-pin 0.5mm pitch FPC connector.
Interface Singal Type
|RGB data signal||LCD control signal||SPI signal||IIC signal||Touch Screen signal||Voltage output|
|R:G:B=8:8:8||row control signal||standard spi signal||2-bit IIC signal||4-wire touch screen||output voltage 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V|
USB OTG (Mini-AB) Wire Map
User needs only to short circuited 4 and 5.
Embest Devkit8000 uses a 2.0mm 40-pin SMT Female Pin Header to bring out McSPI, McBSP, I2C, HDQ, GPIO from this interface
|2||BSP1_DX||Transmitted serial data 1|
|3||BSP1_DR||Received serial data 1|
|4||BSP1_CLKR||Received clock 1|
|5||BSP1_FSX||Transmit frame synchronization 1|
|6||BSP1_CLKX||Transmit clock 1|
|7||BSP1_CLKS||External clock input 1|
|8||BSP1_FSR||Receive frame synchronization 1|
|9||UART1_CTS||UART1 clear to send|
|10||UART1_RTS||UART1 request to send|
|11||UART1_RX||UART1 receive data|
|12||UART1_TX||UART1 transmit data|
|14||MMC2_CLK||MMC2 card clock|
|15||MMC2_CMD||MMC2 card command|
|16||MMC2_D0||MMC2 card data 0|
|17||MMC2_D1||MMC2 card data 1|
|18||MMC2_D2||MMC2 card data 2|
|19||MMC2_D3||MMC2 card data 3|
|20||MMC2_D4||MMC2 card data 4|
|21||MMC2_D5||MMC2 card data 5|
|22||MMC2_D6||MMC2 card data 6|
|23||MMC2_D7||MMC2 card data 7|
|24||BSP3_DX||Transmitted serial data 3|
|25||BSP3_DR||Received serial data 3|
|26||BSP3_CLKX||Transmit clock 3|
|27||BSP3_FSX||Transmit frame synchronization 3|
|29||IIC3_SCL||IIC3 master serial clock|
|30||IIC3_SDA||IIC3 serial bidirectional data|
|31||SPI1_SIMO||Slave data in, master data out|
|32||SPI1_SOMI||Slave data out, master data in|
|34||SPI1_CS0||SPI enable 0|
|35||SPI1_CS3||SPI enable 3|
The Devkit8000 PCB has 6-layer design, each layer is layout as below:
Function Block Diagram
Optional Function Modules
- VGA Module (VGA8000)
- Analog Camera Module (CAM8000-A)
The CAM8000-A module is designed for using on Devkit8000 Evaluation Board with standard 720*576 PAL resolution. It supports analog camera with BNC connector and connects to Devkit8000 board through an 30-pin FFC cable.
- USB WiFi Module (WF8000-U)
The WF8000-U is a USB based WiFi module relying on the WiFi IEEE 802.11 standards. It is applied to be used on all Embest products which shall have USB interface. This module is hgihly integrated with MAC/BBP and 2.4GHz RF chip and builds a wireless network between PCs or some other terminals.
- GPS Module (GPS8000-S)
The GPS8000-S is an ARM based embedded GPS module which allows to connect to Devkit8000 board to get position and altitude. It is a high sensitivity module with low power consumption. Devkit8000's UART (the serial port) from the expansion connector is used to communicate with the GPS through a tiny patch board.
- GPRS Module (GPRS8000-S)
The GPRS8000-S is an ARM based embedded GPS module which allows to connect to Embest Devkit8000 board for GSM/GPRS solution. Devkit8000's UART (the serial port) from the expansion connector is used to communicate with the GPRS module.
- XDS100v2 - the second release of the XDS100 JTAG emulator technology supporting debug of a variety of TI devices.
Available from Embest
Linux and WinCE OS support
|Linux||Boot||Version||x-load-1.41, u-boot 1.3.3|
|Boot Mode||Boot Linux from SD card, NAND Flash or Ethernet|
|Image Update||Support updating image from SD card or Ethernet|
|Kernel and Drivers||Version||Linux 2.6.28|
|Support file systems||ROM/CRAM/EXT2/EXT3/FAT/NFS/JFFS2/UBIFS|
|Drivers||Serial, RTC, NET, Nand, LCD, Touch Screen, SD, USB Host, USB OTG, DVI, Keypad, LED, Audio|
|File system||Format||Ramdisk, UBI|
|Characteristic||Provided Lib (ALSA -lib, tslib, glibc), udev support|
|Demo||Angstrom||Audio (XMMS), network (firefox), graphics editor (gimp) and document processing software (Abiword)|
|Android||Google developed a platform based on Linux open-source mobile phone operating system.|
|DVSDK||Support MPEG4, MPEG2, H264, mp3, aac audio/video formats and Codecs|
|Boot Mode||Boot WinCE from SD card, NAND Flash or Ethernet|
|Image Update||Support updating image from SD card or Ethernet|
|System||Characteristic||KITL kernel debug, Reboot, Watchdog, RTC|
|Drivers||Display driver（DVI, TFT LCD）|
|SD card, Keyboard, McSPI, McBSP, Audio, NET, NLED, USB Host, USB OTG, WiFi, GPS, GPRS, CDMA|
|Function||Power Management (backlight drive, battery-driven, sleep/wake-up function)|
|Hive registry support|
|ROM file system support|
|Software features||Mediaplayer 9.0, Word and Internet Explorer 6.0|
|.NET Compact Framework 3.5|
Now Linux2.6.29 is ported. Source code download from here
Ubuntu on Devkit8000 (for reference)
Please refer to Devkit8000 Ubuntu.
Port QT on Devkit8000 (for reference)
Please refer to Devkit8000 QT on how to port QT on Devkit8000.
The DevKit8000 can support Android which is a software platform and operating system for mobile devices, based on the Linux kernel, developed by Google and later the Open Handset Alliance. The board can run various applications based on Android. It supports 4.3" and 7" TFT LCD display and touch panel function. It can use the built-in audio player of Android to play kinds of audio files and transfer data through SD card or USB OTG.
Please refer to Devkit8000 Android on how to use and port.
DevKit8000 can display Angstrom system on a DVI_D monitor running 720p videos at 30fps. DevKit8000 can use various software of Angsrtom to implement file editing, internet surfing, audio and video files playing and graphics editing and more other functions. User can use USB mouser to operate on Angstrom system.
Please refer to Devkit8000 Angstrom on how to use and port.
DevKit8000 supports DVSDK package which includes following functions:
Supports 2D/3D graphics acceleration;
Supports DSP codec (Supports audio and video hardware decoding);
Supports S-Video output.
Please refer to Devkit8000_DVSDK on how to use and port.
Devkit8000 Evaluation Kit Overview
Embest DevKit8000 Evaluation Kit includes the DevKit8000 evaluation board and all necessary accessories to help users start their design of multimedia applications. The board is preloaded with Linux OS in NAND flash and WinCE OS in SD card. User can display the subsystem using a 4.3" TFT LCD and Touch screen or using a DVI-D monitor through an HDMI to DVI-D cable, or using TV for NTSC/PAL video out. The USB OTG interface can also be used as USB Host function with a Mini-A to Standard-A cable, or used as USB Device function with a Mini-B to Standard-A cable. Along with the kit, Embest provides user manual, schematic drawing and datasheet documents to help customers better understand and use the kit.
The Devkit8000 product CD contains following contents:
- Linux2.6.28 source code (including driver, kernel, startup code and file system)
- WinCE6.0 BSP (including driver, kernel, startup code and file system all in source code)
- Schematic in PDF format
- Onboard chip datasheet
- Linux cross-compile toolchains
- User manual
- CAM8000-A analog camera module
- Analog camera
- VGA8000 VGA module
- WF8000-U USB WiFi module
- CAM8100-U digital camera module
- GPS8000-S GPS module
- GPRS8000-S GPRS module
- CDMA8000-U USB 3G module (CDMA2000 standard)
- WCDMA8000-U USB 3G module (WCDMA standard)
- XDS100v2 USB JTAG emulator
If you have got some problems when using Devkit8000, please refer to Devkit8000 FAQ.
Other Embest Products based on TI Processors
Embest has designed several products based on TI's ARM9 and ARM Cortex-A8 processors. Embestalso offers customer design service according to customer's requirements. Whether you need to reduce, add or modify to existing hardwares or generate a new solution, Embest will help customers with expert competence and rich experience.
- DevKit8500 Evalution Board based on TI's DM3730 or AM3715 ARM Cortex-A8 processor
- SBC8530 Single Board Computer based on TI's DM3730 ARM Cortex-A8 processor
- SBC8100 Plus Single Board Computer based on TI's DM3730 ARM Cortex-A8 processor
- SBC8018 Single Board Computer based on TI's AM1808 ARM926EJ-S processor
- SBC8100 Single Board Computer based on TI's OMAP3530 ARM Cortex-A8 processor
- SOC8200 Single Board Computer based on TI's AM3517 Sitara ARM Cortex-A8 processor
- Mini8510 Processor Card based on TI's DM3730 ARM Cortex-A8 processor
- Mini8100 Processor Card based on TI's OMAP3530 ARM Cortex-A8 processor