The Wandboard is a low cost development board based on the Freescale i.MX6 multicore ARM Cortex-A9 family of processors. In consists of a core module based on the EDM standard and a simple to extend baseboard.
There are currently two versions of Wandboard, "Solo" and "Dual". The Wandboard itself is a System-On-Module of the EDM standard that comes with a matching motherboard. The motherboard is quite trivial and is the same for both versions of the Wandboard.
- Freescale i.MX6 CPU (ARM Cortex A9)
- i.MX6 Solo (single core) on "Solo" version
- i.MX6 Dual Lite (dual core) on "Dual" version
- Vivante GPU:
- 3D core: GC880 @ @ 533MHz, 1 shader core 4.8 GFLOPS
- 2D core: GC320 composition engine
- DDR3 RAM
- 512 MB on "Solo" version (two 2Gbit chips)
- 1 Gigabyte on "Dual" version (four 2Gbit chips)
- MicroSD card slot (bootable, at SD3 of the CPU)
- AR8031 Gigabit LAN
- BCM4329 Wi-Fi+Bluetooth (at SD2, UART3, AUD5; unpopulated on "Solo" version)
- Flat cable connector for camera (CSI, I2C2, GPIO)
- Power circuit (5V input)
- Gigabit LAN connector
- HDMI connector
- USB host connector (USB3 for future use but currently in USB2 mode only)
- USB OTG connector
- MicroSD card slot (at SD1)
- UART DB9 connector (at UART1 via ADM3202)
- Audio I/O (at AUD3 via SGTL5000) and SPDIF (3.5mm jacks and optical)
- 5VDC power barrel connector
- SATA connector (probably unpopulated, reserved for future use; no SATA on i.MX6 Solo and Dual Lite)
- Four 1.27mm 2x10 expansion headers:
- LVDS0 (4 signal pairs + clock), +3V3
- Flat panel display data lines (24 bit total); no power or GND at this header
- Rest of FPD data lines, FPD control lines, +3V3, three I2C interfaces
- One SPI (with two CS), 8 GPIO lines, +5V
For power, you will need a 5V 2A DC power supply with a positive center pin. the barrel connector should be 5.5 mm. Current to boot-up is about 800mA. In free air, running a GPU demo, the processor gets to about 20 celcius above ambient.
The Wandboard has a working SATA port fitted. You need an additional power supply for the SATA drive, there is no on-board power connector for the drive.
Linux Distributions for Wandboard
GPU/VPU support in ubuntu/linaro is patchy. 12.04 is OK, anything later is work in progress...
HDMI resolution detection depends on the identification information returned from the monitor, but can be overridden using the uEnv.txt boot file, or with a serial port at boot time.
As of Jan 17, 2013 preorder only. Prices are 69 USD for Solo and 89 USD for Dual. First boards seem to be shipped to partner developers.