BeagleBoard/GSoC/2021 Proposal/beagle config
- 1 Proposal for Beagle Config
- 2 Status
- 3 Proposal
- 4 About Your Project
Proposal for Beagle Config
- Student: Shreyas Atre
- Mentors: Kumar Abhishek (IRC: Abhishek_ )
- Code: [N/A]
- Proposal : https://elinux.org/index.php?title=BeagleBoard/GSoC/2021_Proposal/beagle_config
- Wiki: [N/A]
- GSoC: [N/A]
- Pre-application phase
- Completed all the general requirements
- Completed "Hello Wolrd" of cross compilation mentioned in the requirements list.
- Sent a PR to the mentioned upstream #145
- IRC : satacker (@satacker:matrix.org)
- Github: https://github.com/SAtacker/
- School: Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI)
- Country: India
- Primary language : English, Hindi, Marathi
- Typical work hours : 10AM - 7PM Indian Standard Time
- Experience :
- PID-Tuning-GUI is my Graphing Qt application as well as for sending data to esp32 microcontroller using Boost.ASIO as Netowrking stack in order to configure the Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) Controller.
- kernel learn is a repo I had created for kernel learning purpose in which I had learned Kernel module development Basics .
- I have realised the beauty of embedded systems after working on esp32 dev board and reading Exploring Linux with Beaglebone by Derek Molloy while in Society of Robotics and Automation as a core team member.
- This is the first time i am participating in GSoC
About Your Project
- Project name: Beagle Config
- As we all know , nearly all of the user operations in Linux can be done using shell commands , scripts and Linux Userspace Api for advanced users. But all that being said for an average user and sometimes in production these steps can be repetitive and time consuming. For example- Simply sharing network i.e. editing iptables and enabling forwarding on the host pc is an uphill task without a script provided. However running scripts could be dangerous.
- Enabling the PRU and loading the firmware is much daunting and unless anybody goes through their usage Documentations it will be difficult.
- Hence I propose beagle-config which is a terminal based UI application that brings down the steep curve and enables anybody to config their beagle device as they wish. Also a host side application to enable ICS
- Not only does it makes beagle devices more friendly but provides an edge to beagle devices over other similar platforms.
- Also while configuring sometimes if the script has hard coded values it makes difficult for the user to go back to default configurations. With beagle-config that won't be a problem anymore
- Goal : Beagle-Config aims to provide the functionality to make the most common low level configuration changes in beagle devices easily and providing a terminal UI to do the same as well as a host side application for ICS
- Beagle-Config consists of a host side application developed with cross platform framework Qt .
- Beagle-Config on user (board) side which will use bash, C/C++ as back end for low level access to linux's userspace api and FTXUI for frontend.
- All the configuration options are stored in user's home directory inside ~/beagleconf.json
- A restore to defaults option
- Internet Connection Sharing Enabling nn linux as well as windows
- console for SSH within the application
The system options sub menu allows you to make configuration changes to various parts of the boot, login and networking process, along with some other system level changes.
- PRU enable/disable
This will enable hobbyists to enable / disable their PRUs (/var/lib/cloud9/common/Makefile TARGET=gpio.prux start) if they want to test their PRU code in c or in simppru (Checks and asks if they want to install) . Example -
PRU Conf PRU 1 Enable Disable PRU 2 Enable Disable
- GPIO configuration
Enabling a GPIO pin for input/output using config-pin Example -
GPIO 18 - Enable Disable Set Value
For beaglebone blue motor driver, servo driver configurations
- Internet Sharing and Client Configurations
Enables users to share their host internet within a click Example -
Host Host A Enable Internet Advanced Set IP gateway Return to Defaults Host Name BBB Edit Country Code <Select Menu>
- eMMC stats
Enables users to extend the sd card partition size if available Example -
eMMC Storage Total 52 % Free -------- Extend --------
- Freeze Packages
apt-mark hold <package> and make a note of it in json
- Wireless Configurations
For wireless enabled devices like beaglebone black wireless configuring Access Point names , mDNS configurations, etc
- Sensor Stats and Configurations
If beagle bone has onboard sensors then enabling them , viewing stats For ex. on Beaglebone Blue 9-axis IMU, barometer,thermometer, and a balancing LiPo charger are present
Configure passwords along with addition of users, groups
- Boot / Auto login
We can configure whether to boot in desktop mode or using just console enabled. Add option to login automatically.
- User LED
Configure the USR Leds on the board. Their frequency and events.
- Firmware Update
Firmware - apt update and upgrade to update your system,
Enable configuration of HDMI/DVI if the board supports it
- Cape Configurations
Performs apt install bb-cape-overlays If a beagle board and its associated cape needs a configuration , this can be configured here easily.
Configure ssh , enable / disable and setup password
- Provide an easy interface to manage uboot overlays
U-Boot /boot/uEnv.txt configuration in /boot/uEnv.txt:
enable_uboot_overlays=1 To Disable eMMC: disable_uboot_overlay_emmc To Disable HDMI VIDEO & AUDIO: disable_uboot_overlay_video disable_uboot_overlay_audio disable_uboot_overlay_wireless disable_uboot_overlay_adc
- Overlay File System
Enable or disable a read-only file system
Select your local time zone, starting with the region, e.g. India, then selecting a city, e.g. Mumbai. Type a letter to skip down the list to that point in the alphabet.
Show strings, license, author , version name and kernel version
|13/04/2021 to 17/05/2021||Application Review Period||Right After submitting the application I will go through rigorous set of reference materials|
|17/05/2021 to 07/06/2021||Community Bonding||
|05/07/2021 - 10/07/2021||Milestone #4||
|31/07/2021 - 03/07/2021||Milestone #7||
|31/08/2021||Milestone #11||Completion of GSoC|
Experience and approach
- Previously I have worked with Qt and Boost.ASIO . PID-Tuning-GUI is an application that sends data to ESP32 micro controller which supports WiFi connectivity. Handled Application threads and Plotting of data as well as sending user input to microcontroller.
- kernel learn is a repository I had created for kernel learning purpose in which I had learned several Kernel development Basics .
- I have played with Pocketbeagle for a month and learned a lot about u-boot, device trees and Loadable Kernel Modules.
- This gives me best of both the worlds embedded as well as a bit in frontend (Qt).
- There is a good documentation of FXTUI and Qt
- Plenty of examples to get me through if I am stuck.
- Past experience regarding Qt and DOM manipulation combined with experience in embedded and loadable kernel modules development will pay off in this duration .
- Having a seamless one click experience to configure is enjoyed by any user , be it production or a robotics team.
- Provides a configuration file to the users. Remembers defaults and helps in accidental modification to low level configurations.
- For hello_world of cross compilation , sent a PR to the mentioned upstream #145
- Theme options
- Flashing functionality can be added instead of making the user download a third part application like etcher
- An IDE within the beagle-config host