BeagleBone Serial Terminal Server
The BeagleBones have 4 capable UARTs and the goal of this project is to provide the end user an image to configure, access and control the UART devices using a user friendly interface or SSH directly into the BBB to take control of the UART device.
Student: Saumitra Kapoor
Mentors: Michael Welling
GSoC: GSoC Proposal
This project is currently just a proposal.
About your project
Project name: BeagleBone-based Serial Terminal Server
There are two key points to approach this project. First, SSH into the BBB to control the UART devices. Second, create a deployable image to easily configure the UART devices. To enable the BBB to take control of UART devices and to issue commands to it using a serial connection:
- Use of simple system management daemons such as Systemd can be used which is the first daemon process to execute on BBB.
- Obtain a full list of services running (systemctl list-units -t service |grep tty)
- Get the status of the current serial service (systemctl status <running service>)
- Replace the serial service with a custom application service by disabling the current serial service (sudo systemctl stop <service>) and then disable it from boot
- Deploy your own design serial service.