Beagleboard gsoc 2019 bi-directional progress
E-Linux Username: pranav083
School: UIET,Panjab University,Chandigarh
Primary language: English,Hindi
Typical work hours: 9:30 - 23:00 IST GMT/EST/PST to Adjusted Time
Previous GSoC participation: This is my first time participation in gsoc .I got intrested for it by seeing the vast amount of development for open source hardware around the world .And i also want to become a part of it.
Skills: C,Python,ROS,OpenCV,Embeddded C,Electronics Prototying,circuit designing
Tools(proficient): Git, Linux, C
Experience: C, Python, OpenCV, Arduino
Hardware Skills: Raspberry Pi, ICs, Circuit Designing, Atmel chips, I2C, circuit designing, circuit debugging.
Reference Design For A GPIO-based Parallel Bi-Directional Bus
Project name: Reference Design For A GPIO-based Parallel Bi-Directional Bus
- command explanation for converting device tree in readable format : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36090929/modifying-the-device-tree-for-the-beaglebone-black
- A get start guide : https://zeekhuge.me/post/a_handfull_of_commands_and_scripts_to_get_started_with_beagleboneblack/
- Outdated but fine source on pru : https://www.element14.com/community/community/designcenter/single-board-computers/next-gen_beaglebone//blog/2013/05/22/bbb--working-with-the-pru-icssprussv2
- A basic guide to pru programming : https://markayoder.github.io/PRUCookbook/
- A online to understand kernel structure of beaglebone on the device tree : http://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-3-8-y-kernel/trees/master/arch/arm/boot/dts
- For using the prussdrv technique in pru programming through asssembly language : https://github.com/hendersa/bes through you have to make couple of changes to get it working.
Daily progress :
Date : 31 May 2019
- First I made an introductory youtube video of my project
- Purchased hardware related to this project like 8-bit logic analyzer ,logic level converter
- Understand about the code structure on making kernel module Beagleboard and understanding the beaglelogic code docs
- Read a little bit about kernel module development from this page .
Date : 1 June 2019
- Till now made the circuit based on the GitHub link withh shift register circuit diagram.
- Made the circuit for testing the board see the circuit drive link
- Further work is to implement first user space program then PRU assembly code program.
- completed studing kernel module developnment from site as suggested by my mentor and further looking into makefile
Date : 2 June 2019
I think i should also include blocker and goals in my further work
- Till Now
- Today I studied more about kernel module development and try to understand the code base starting from docs, then kernel folder and firmware folder
- Try to complete the first week commitment of making the video for the different interfacing circuit but faces some problem due to less understanding assembly code in PRU
- As i was working earlier in the User space so i was comfortable to make the program their but i want to submit the video and code with the assembly code
- During navigating through the code of beaglelogic .asm file are less understandable for me .
- Less understaning of the PRU assembly code to tackle that i watched again pru video from beagle bone site.
- came across a github page during my search for barebone pru programming on pocket_beagle_samples
- And downloaded the Sitara PRU but it was too big to be understable to me.
Date : 3 June 2019
- Till Now
- Got guidance from @Jkrinder and @Hendersa through the IRC channel on the documentation regarding the PRU that are from the TI
- As PRU have very little assembly code instruction set (There is around 40+ instruction set ) for the pru on this guide page : https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spruij2/spruij2.pdf
- And the guide for c/c++ complier for t=your assembly code : https://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spruhv6c/spruhv6c.pdf
- Clone and Made the changes in the file as suggested for the file : https://github.com/hendersa/bes/blob/v0.1/src/pru.cpp by deleting line 57 and line 58 and adding " || 1 " on the line 60
- Ran the program but got error as the main function was not there
- Building the program was not successful send my issue to my mentor
- reading the datasheet stated above but very less success with it
Date : 6 June 2019
- Till Now
- facing some problem on my past mage so installing fresh image
- reflashing every thing as their are different error in the file are are coming while following the guide by https://www.element14.com/community/community/designcenter/single-board-computers/next-gen_beaglebone//blog/2013/05/22/bbb--working-with-the-pru-icssprussv2
- starting every thing from new
- unable to install the library from the site