Board and Chip Vendors
This page has a list of the companies or organizations that make processors or boards for embedded products. If you are looking for companies who sell Linux software or Linux-related services, see the Vendors page. If you are looking for companies who sell end-user products based on Linux, see Companies. If you are looking for information about specific development boards, see
- AMCC - Applied Micro Circuits Corporation
- makes embedded PowerPC processors??
- acquired ATI and now produces MIPS-based embedded processors (Xilleon series)
- Also, used to make Geode chip
- ARM - Wikipedia entry
- ARM designs ARM architecture processors, and license the technology to companies that actually make the chips
- affordable ARM boards
- Armadeus started as a community project
- Atmel - Wikipedia entry
- Broadcom - makes ARM chips for mobile phone market
- CALAO Systems sells tiny and cheap ARM based boards
- Cirrus Logic - Wikipedia entry
- Cirrus Logic makes ep93xx and ep73xx 32-bit ARM-based Microcontrollers
- Freescale Semiconductor - Wikipedia entry
- Freescale makes the MX31 ARM11-based processor (and associated development boards), among others.
- Freescale makes several PPC-based processors (and associated development boards) as well.
- Gumstix sells various very small processor and add-on boards. Especially interesting for robotics related projects.
- Marvell sells a lot of ARM chips.
- NEC - makes ARM chips, used to make lots of MIPS chips
- Renesas Technology - Wikipedia entry
- Renesas makes the SuperH, M32R, and H8 RISC CPUs, the RX CISC CPUs, and others.
- Samsung - makes ARM processors
- Sunplus is a company specialising in chips for multimedia and mobile applications. One of their interesting chips is the Sunplus SPMP3050A which is used in MP4 players.