Categorized Videos Proposal
This page is a proposal for creating a set of topic-area pages to hold links to talks & videos from past ELC and ELCE events, so that information on a particular topic is collected in one place, for easy reference.
- decide on the categories for talks
- note: some talks will likely defy categorization
- how narrow do we want the topics?
- see below for an initial list of category ideas
- see also the list of sections and pages already on the Presentations by Topic page
- can start with those, and add topic pages as we go through the talks
- decide if talk may be included on more than one page
- create a guide for adding talks in the future
- create Presentation topic template page.
- decide layout for talk information:
- obvious elements: event, date, speaker, title, presentation link, video link
- do we want a talk summary? If so, where would we get it from?
- some abstracts for previous events are still available (e.g. see https://www.celinux.org/elc_europe07/sessions.html)
- how about a rating or notability indicator?
- indicator could be star, highlight, recommendation by maintainer, bolding, etc.?
- would be for significant or historic talk (there are some worth highlighting, I believe)
- link to transcript if available?
- link to press coverage (e.g. lwn.net) if available
- how long will that take to research, for each talk?
- decide layout for talk information:
- create pages
- add information about each talk to correct page(s)
- create new topic pages as new topic areas are encountered
Here are some possible categories: (I propose that we keep a "working list" of categories on this page - especially ones that do not have a page yet, while the project is under development.)
- Boot time
- File systems
- embedded protocols (mqtt, 6lowpan, etc.)
- Build systems
- Yocto Project
- others? (OpenWRT, homebrew)
- (or do we want just a "verticals" page)
- kernel subsystems:
- have a planning meeting (first meeting held July 29, 2020)
- create timeline
- Would be nice to be able to announce the project at ELCE 2020, in late October
- do some initial pages, and tweak page design and categories, in by mid-August?
- have a 1st review in August (what date?)
- solicit more volunteers?
- announce the project on an embedded linux mailing list? (elc-announce?, celinux-dev?)
- ELC Presentations - links to all presentations pages for ELC and ELCE
- This is the main resource for pages with talk and video links for presentations (that are uncategorized by topic)
- Presentations by Topic
- This is the main destination for links to presentation topic pages
- Presentation topic template
- This is a page holding with the layout for presentation topic page
- https://embeddedlinuxconference.com/ - links to all presentation pages, and some event pages (where abstracts might be found)
- this page has the same links (under the "Archives" section on that page) as the "ELC Presentations" page
- However, it also has links to many of the original event pages, where additional talk information (especially talk abstracts) might be found
- https://lwn.net/Kernel/Index/ - lwn.net kernel index (shows kernel topic categories)
- This resource shows one set of (highly detailed) categories for kernel-related topics
Candidate policies for a "talk placement guide"
Here are some policies we can discuss for talk placement and marking: This is for the current effort - to remain consistent - and for future efforts as new material is added after future events.
- most recent talks at the top of page
- mark talks that are about obsolete technology or practices
- mark talks that are notable
- a talk may be placed on more than one topic page (but may be marked as being primarily about another topic, where appropriate)