ELC2009 Editor Contest
The ELC 2009 Editor Contest is a competition, with a prize for the winner, to see which attendee of ELC 2009, or member of the public, can make the "best" set of edits to the eLinux wiki.
The contest will be run in 3 phases:
- Phase 1: April 6 - During the eLinux wiki working BOF
- Phase 2: April 6-8 - During ELC itself
- Phase 3: April 6 - May 15 - Following on to ELC
Phases 1 and 2 are open to registered ELC attendees only. (So your chances of winning are very good.)
Phase 3 is open to the general public.
- Create a user account on the eLinux.org wiki
- Add or edit pages on this site.
- See Volunteering for ideas.
- CELF will decide which user has made the "best" set of edits, and will award a prize to the person making the edits.
Phase 1 prizes
Come to the BOF tonight and see. Prizes range from T-shirts to chocolates.
Phase 2 prize
Sony DSCT700 Digital Still Camera
This will be awarded at the ELC Social event at the Exploratorium, Wednesday evening.
Phase 3 prizes
The grand prize winner will receive, at their option:
- A new Sony Playstation 3 game console
- $500 U.S.
Up to 3 runner-up prizes will be awarded of $100 U.S.
Here are the rules for the contest:
- The contest runs from April 6, 2009 until May 15, 2009 (6 weeks from the start of the conference)
- In order to receive credit for your entries, you must make them as a logged-in user. For phases 1 and 2, the user name on the account must be matchable to a registered attendee of the Embedded Linux Conference 2009. In case of phase 2 and 3, your e-mail address used to register for the conference will be used to notify you in case you are the winner of the contest. (In the case of phase 2, you can receive your prize
at the social event if you are present.)
- You may only add material which is allowed by copyright laws. That is, you may write new material or quote material that is copyrighted by someone else, as allowed by fair use. However, you may not copy verbatim materials from another source unless allowed to do so by an appropriate license.
- Entries will by judged by examining the "Recent changes" log for the eLinux wiki, for the contest period. They will be judged by a panel consisting of members of the CE Linux Forum, with Tim Bird as the judging committee Chair.
- The winner will be notified by e-mail no later than May 29, 2009. Delivery of the prize will be arranged with the award-winner at that time. The award-winner will also be announced on the wiki.
The judges will evaluate the edits based on a number of criteria, including:
- the number of edits and/or size of edits
- the originality of the edits or additions
- the quality of the edits, including:
- whether the edits conform to accepted formatting for the wiki
- whether the edits are grammatically and syntactically correct
- how much useful information the edits contribute contribute for other embedded Linux developers
This last criteria ("usefullness") will dominate the evaluation.
I know this is a wiki, but please don't edit this page to change the rules in your favor... :-)