Microsemi VSC8531BBB (BeagleBoard Black Compatible) Development Board
The VSC8531BBB is perfect combination of development board & evaluation tool for the brand new Microsemi VSC8531XMW Gigabit Ethernet PHY, soon to be publicly launched on May 17th, 2016.
Nearly identical to the BeagleBone Black (Rev C) in design and functionality, it has undergone some performance enhancements thanks to Gerald and his team at Embedded Product Design LLC.
These design changes include:
- Upgraded memory to 1GB of DDR3
- Replacement of the FE PHY with the Microsemi VSC8531XMW RGMII/RMII Single Port Gigabit Copper Ethernet PHY (with supporting LDOs for the required 1.0V and 2.5V rails)
- Replacement of the "LINK-PP" ICM RJ-45 jack with the specifically designed, Open-Source Hardware compliant HALO Electronics TG111-MSC13LF 8-core transformer, and a quality RJ-45 jack with dual LEDs.
In addition to being FCC Class B, CE, RoHS & REACH certified just like the BeagleBone Black is, this 6-layer development board & evaluation tool, is capable of passing UNH IOL GbE, Fast Ethernet, as well as 10Base-T/Te certification. For anyone out that has attempted to take their end-product through this compliance conformance testing, they will be the first to tell you that it is not straight forward. The VSC8531BBB can help to reduce the customer's TTM as well as them development costs typically associated with multiple board spins.
This development board will be made available for world wide sale through a variety of Microsemi Authorized Distributors in the mid-August timeframe. Just like all BeagleBoard Compatible products, the Open-Source Hardware design files will be made available along with the Open-Source Software on this site, once these devlierables have been reviewed and accepted by the Open-Source community.
- Go here to find official specifications and resources
- Go here to find community created "how to" pages and resources
- Go here to find a registry of compatible accessory board Capes