Microsemi VSC8531BB1G - BeagleBone Black 1G - Development Board
The VSC8531BB1G is perfect combination of development board & evaluation tool for the brand new Microsemi Family of Gigabit Ethernet & FE PHYs (VSC8541/31/40/30).
The prototype build of Rev A hardware is currently undergoing FCC Class B pre-screening at EPD in Richardson, Texas and we should know by next week (8/22/16) where things stand. If the design passes pre-screen, it will then go on to FCC Class B & CE formal testing to obtain certification. Since the design is already RoHS, REACH and UNH IOL compliant, the design files will the be posted to the VSC8531BB1G Specifications and Resources page (see link below).
The 500 unit board build will be kicked off mid October, using the brand new Rev B silicon (VSC8531XMW-01) so that the units will be available in the channel by November.
The official Product Launch is now scheduled to coincide with the Elektronica show in Germany
Nearly identical to the BeagleBone Black (Rev C) in design and functionality, it has undergone some performance enhancements thanks to Gerald and his team at Embedded Product Design LLC.
These design changes include:
- Upgraded memory to 1GB of DDR3
- Replaced FE PHY with the Microsemi VSC8531XMW RGMII/RMII Single Port Gigabit Copper Ethernet PHY (and supporting LDOs for the required core and analog rails)
- Replaced off-the-shelf integrated magnetics RJ-45 jack with the specially designed for Microsemi SimpliPHYTM and SynchroPHYTM branded Copper & Dual Media PHYs, Open-Source Hardware compliant HALO(R) Electronics GenesusTM TG111-MSC13LF 8-core Discrete transformer, and a quality RJ-45 jack with dual LEDs.
In addition to being FCC Class B, CE, RoHS & REACH certified just like the BeagleBone Black is, this 6-layer development board & evaluation tool, is capable of passing UNH IOL GbE, Fast Ethernet, as well as 10Base-T/Te certification. For anyone out that has attempted to take their end-product through this compliance conformance testing, they will be the first to tell you that it is not straight forward. The VSC8531BB1G can help to reduce the customer's TTM as well as them development costs typically associated with multiple board spins. It also enables the user to go through the UNH IOL certification test, provided that they have the necessary Tektronix TDSET3 Compliance Test Package. If UNH IOL is NOT a requirement for your design, please note that there are a host of alternative solutions available on the market that still comply with the Microsemi Magnetics Guide which is available for download to all registered users that have access to the VSC8531 Product Page.
This development board will be made available for world wide sale through a variety of Microsemi Authorized Distributors in the mid-August timeframe. Just like all BeagleBoard Compatible products, the Open-Source Hardware design files will be made available along with the Open-Source Software on this site, once these deliverables have been reviewed, the design has passed all the required certifications (FCC, CE, RoHS, REACH & UNH IOL).
Note: The VSC8531BB1G, much like other BeagleBone Black boards when used with external CAPES, pulls more than 500mA of power, due to the increased SDRAM size (1GB vs. 512MB), the GbE PHY and the additional LDOs, so please ensure that you are using your VSC8531BB1G with a BeagleBone approved +5V DC power supply with at least 2A or more to be safe.
- Go here to find official specifications of the VSC8531BB1G and resources
- Go here to find out more about how to get started with your VSC8531BB1G
- Go here to find community created "how to" pages and resources for all things BeagleBone related
- Go here to find a registry of compatible accessory board "Capes" for your VSC8531BB1G