Panda How to kernel 2 6 39
The merge window has closed and 2.6.39-rc1 has been released, There are many Pandaboard related changes, including HDMI, DVI and wl21xx support.
* hdmi & dvi are broken due to some dss clocking issues, see: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/674062/ for details, a fix for dvi is available, see below. * abe sound is not supported. * Dave Anders patch to not configure the unused power regulators of VUSIM and VAUX1 is included. * wl12xx support is working to the extent that one can associate with an access point, get an IP address and ping out to the internet.
* Neither OMAP nor PandaBoaqrd changes, no other changes to wlan, dvi or hdmi code, so stay tuned for rc-3 in about a week or so. ** looks like lots of interesting changes queued up for the next -rc so stay tuned..
* Rebooting is broken (there was a post suggesting that it was broken in -rc2 as well) follow this thread for more info: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg49746.html. ** a simple fix is to turn off OMAP2 support, which is done in the .config below for -rc3. * What at first looked like interesting changes to /arch/arm/mach-omap2/ /drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx/ /drivers/video/omap2/dss/ seemed to really be typo fixes in comments, Hopefully, some real fixes will be in -rc3. * New in -rc3 is that the usb ethernet adapter appears as eth0 rather than usb0.
* Neither OMAP nor PandaBoaqrd changes, no other changes to wlan, dvi or hdmi code, so stay tuned for rc-5 in about a week or so.
* Neither OMAP nor PandaBoaqrd changes, no other changes to wlan, dvi or hdmi code, * There have been lots of changes in other parts of the kernel, so it's time to see if anything in -rc5 breaks pandaboard. * Rebooting is still broken, so beware of using omap2plus_defconfig without changes. (see -rc3 above) * patching is still neccessary to get dvi working * wlan and ethernet both seem to work as in -rc3 ** There are several omap44xx changes queued up for -rc6
* lots of (real) changes for omap, see http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/ChangeLog-2.6.39-rc6 for details. * Rebooting is still broken, so beware of using omap2plus_defconfig without changes. (see -rc3 above) * patching is still neccessary to get dvi working * wlan and ethernet both seem to work as in -rc3, -rc4 and -rc5 * i2c chararacter device driver is still broken, the patch below still applies cleanly and resolves the issue.
* No specific PandaBoard changes, but there was work done on /drivers/usb/host/ehci-omap.c * A new version of wlan firmware (see below) is available which might have working bluetooth. unfortunately, there is no BT support in the board file /arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-omap4panda.c * looks like some PandaBoard & OMAP4 specific changes queued up for the next .39-rcx (or maybe .40-rc1)
The proper firmware for wl12xx support is available from: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/romieu/linux-firmware.git, just clone that repository and copy the ti-connectivity directory to /lib/firmare/.
# pwd /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity # ls -la total 796 drwxr-xr-x 2 default default 1024 Mar 29 2011 . drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 1024 Mar 29 2011 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 default default 273040 Mar 29 2011 wl1271-fw-2.bin -rw-r--r-- 1 default default 262356 Mar 29 2011 wl1271-fw-ap.bin -rw-r--r-- 1 default default 271832 Mar 29 2011 wl1271-fw.bin -rw-r--r-- 1 default default 912 Mar 29 2011 wl1271-nvs.bin
- Update 5/9/2011 A newer version is available from: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git which includes a Bluetooth init script, which contains binary patches to the firmware that resides in ROM.
- This OMAP35xx user guide has useful info: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OMAP35x_Wireless_Connectivity_System_Test_Guidelines_User%27s_Guide
- The firmware and wl1271 hardware is the same as on the PandaBoard, but there is no support in /arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-omap4panda.c for the gpio's that control BT_EN (GPIO46) or BT_WAKEUP (GPIO49). In addition, the latest Bluez (4.93) source for hidattach_ti.c still assumes that the firmware (and bt init script) are in /lib/firmware/ rather than in /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity/. The new firmware does work for wlan.
# pwd /lib/firmware/ti-connectivity # ls -la total 1385 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 May 9 2011 . drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Dec 31 17:36 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48909 May 9 2011 TIInit_7.2.31.bts -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 273252 May 9 2011 wl1271-fw-2.bin -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 272784 May 9 2011 wl1271-fw-ap.bin -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 271832 May 9 2011 wl1271-fw.bin -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1113 May 9 2011 wl1271-nvs-example-wl128x.bin -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 912 May 9 2011 wl1271-nvs.bin -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 265196 May 9 2011 wl128x-fw-ap.bin -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 272748 May 9 2011 wl128x-fw.bin
Building 2.6.39-rc1, -rc3, -rc5, or -rc6 is basically the same as How to build 2.6.38 kernel, but of course you need the rc1/3/5/6 sources. The omap2plus_defconfig works, but does not enable anything interesting. config.2.6.39-rc1 enables USB, its' ethernet adapter, and wl12xx support. Or config.2.6.39-rc3.1 for -rc3. config.2.6.39-rc1.2 enables USB, it's ethernet adapter, wl12xx support, and dvi support, for -rc3 use config.2.6.39-rc3.3, config.2.6.39-rc5.1 for -rc5 and config.2.6.39-rc6.1 for -rc6. However using either of those configs requires that the kernel sources be patched with 0001-omap4-pandaboard-fix-dvi-support.patch The patch also provices panda_dvi_defconfig which just enables dvi. This patch applies to both -rc1, -rc3, -rc5 and -rc6.
Apply it like so: (from inside the kernel sources directory)
patch -p1 < 0001-omap4-pandaboard-fix-dvi-support.patch
Then use either of the above configs or
make ARCH=arm omap2plus_defconfig or make ARCH=arm panda_dvi_defconfig
Then compile with
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=Path_to_your/arm-2009q3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- uImage or make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=Path_to_your/arm-2010q1/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- uImage
i2c character device driver
Ever since 2.6.38, the i2c character device driver support from user space has been broken for OMAP44xx. * A fix has been submitted for the linux-omap-2.6 branch, but it may be a while till it gets into an -rcx. See http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=commit;h=39fe1a6fafe1e85c183379af9f3ceda7cd24bd65 for the commit. * A quick fix for this issue is available File:Omap44xx-i2c-fix.patch
Apply it like so: (from inside the kernel sources directory)
patch -p1 < Omap44xx-i2c-fix.patch
Then compile as above.
After booting run fbtest to see a nice test pattern from the dvi port.
Then you can run i2cdetect and the results should look like this:
# i2cdetect -y -r 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU UU UU UU -- -- -- -- 50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
More to come "real soon now"(tm)