This is the Wiki for the Renesas R-Car H3 and M3-W Salvator-X boards (RTP0RC7795SIPB0010S resp. RTP0RC7796SIPB0011S). Refer to the R-Car page for information about Renesas' R-Car SoC family.
- R-CAR H3
- ARM CA57 (ARMv8) 1.5 GHz quad core, with NEON/VFPv4, L1$ I/D 48K/32K, L2$ 2MB
- ARM CA53 (ARMv8) 1.2 GHz quad core, with NEON/VFPv4, L1$ I/D 32K/32K, L2$ 512K
- Memory controller for LPDDR4-3200 4GB in 2 channels, each 64-bit wide
- Two- and three-dimensional graphics engines,
- Video processing units,
- 3 channels Display Output,
- 6 channels Video Input,
- SD card host interface,
- USB3.0 and USB2.0 interfaces,
- CAN interfaces
- Ethernet AVB
- PCI Express Interfaces
- INTERNAL 384KB SYSTEM RAM
- DDR 4 GB LPDDR4
- HYPERFLASH 64 MB HYPER FLASH (512 MBITS, 160 MHZ, 320 MBYTES/S)
- QSPI FLASH 16MB QSPI (128 MBITS,80 MHZ,80 MBYTES/S)1 HEADER QSPI MODULE
- EMMC 32 GB EMMC (HS400 240 MBYTES/S)
- MICROSD-CARD SLOT (SDR104 100 MBYTES/S)
- CN1 COM Express type connector 440pin
- CN2 QSPI Flash module
- CN3 DEBUG JTAG
- CN4 HDMI
- CN5 USB 2.0
- CN6 Push-Pull microSD Card Socket
- CN7 Ethernet, Connector, RJ45
- CN8 LINE Out
- CN9 MIC Input
- CN10 DEBUG SERIAL (not populated)
- CN11 CPLD Programming JTAG
- CN12 DEBUG SERIAL (serial)
- CN13 Main Power Supply input (5VDC)
- CN14 CPU Fan
- SW1 Hyper Flash
- SW2 Software Readable DIPSWITCHES (4x)
- SW3 Software Readable Push button
- SW4 Software Readable Push button
- SW5 Software Readable Push button
- SW6 Mode Settings
- SW7 Reset
- SW8 Power
- SW9 Reset
- Board specifications
- Dimensions: 95mm × 95mm
- Board thickness: 1.6mm
- External power supply 5V / 6A max, Ripple & Noise (Vp-p) Full load 200mV
- T opr Operating ambient temperature 0°C to 40°C Do not expose to condensation
- Vcc 5V system power supply voltage (range 5V +- 5%)
- I board Maximum current consumption 6A , 40W
Quick Start How To
This sections describes steps that are necessary to run a "Hello, World!" application using Yocto build. Both X11 and Wayland are supported.
Build Yocto image
Refer to Yocto for steps necessary for making a Yocto image.
Connect 5 V power supply to the board
Use 12 V power supply with a 5.5 mm barrel plug. The power supply should be able to provide 9 Amps.
Connect to serial console
Use a microUSB cable to connect the PC to R-Car Starter Kit Premier (H3ULCB) board. CN12 ("CPLD/DEBUG") must be used on Starter Kit side. It is routed to SCIF2 in the R-Car H3 via a FT232 interface converter chip.
On Linux, FT232 driver is included with kernel versions >=2.6.12. Windows driver and sources can be found on Silicon Labs website.
Serial settings are 115200 8N1. Any standard terminal emulator program can be used.
sudo picocom -b 115200 DEVICE
replace DEVICE with the proper tty device name, for example /dev/ttyUSB0. Running dmesg | tail can help locating proper device. After the successful connection, picocom should display:
port is : /dev/ttyUSB0 flowcontrol : none baudrate is : 115200 parity is : none databits are : 8 escape is : C-a local echo is : no noinit is : no noreset is : no nolock is : no send_cmd is : sz -vv receive_cmd is : rz -vv imap is : omap is : emap is : crcrlf,delbs,
Use Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q to exit picocom.
sudo minicom -b 115200 -D DEVICE
replace DEVICE with the proper tty device name, for example /dev/ttyUSB0. Running dmesg | tail can help locating proper device. After the successful connection, minicom should display:
Welcome to minicom 2.6.2
OPTIONS: I18n Compiled on Aug 7 2013, 13:32:48. Port /dev/ttyUSB0
Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
Use Ctrl+A, Q to exit minicom.
Power on the board and go to U-Boot prompt
Short-press SW8 "Power" to switch the board on. Then you should see the following output in the terminal:
Welcome to minicom 2.7
OPTIONS: I18n Compiled on Jan 1 2014, 17:13:19. Port /dev/ttyUSB0, 18:31:48
Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
NOTICE: BL2: R-Car Gen3 Initial Program Loader(CA57) Rev.1.0.9 NOTICE: BL2: PRR is R-Car H3 ES1.1 NOTICE: BL2: Boot device is HyperFlash(80MHz) NOTICE: BL2: LCM state is CM NOTICE: BL2: AVS setting succeeded. DVFS_SetVID=0x52 NOTICE: BL2: DDR1600(rev.0.10) NOTICE: BL2: DRAM Split is 4ch NOTICE: BL2: QoS is default setting(rev.0.32) NOTICE: BL2: Lossy Decomp areas NOTICE: Entry 0: DCMPAREACRAx:0x80000540 DCMPAREACRBx:0x570 NOTICE: Entry 1: DCMPAREACRAx:0x40000000 DCMPAREACRBx:0x0 NOTICE: Entry 2: DCMPAREACRAx:0x20000000 DCMPAREACRBx:0x0 NOTICE: BL2: v1.1(release):3ad02ac NOTICE: BL2: Built : 13:03:52, Sep 20 2016 NOTICE: BL2: Normal boot NOTICE: BL2: dst=0xe631a208 src=0x8180000 len=512(0x200) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x43f00000 src=0x8180400 len=6144(0x1800) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x44000000 src=0x81c0000 len=65536(0x10000) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x44100000 src=0x8200000 len=524288(0x80000) NOTICE: BL2: dst=0x49000000 src=0x8640000 len=1048576(0x100000)
U-Boot 2015.04 (Sep 23 2016 - 18:54:42)
CPU: Renesas Electronics R8A7795 rev 1.1 Board: H3ULCB I2C: ready DRAM: 3.9 GiB MMC: sh-sdhi: 0, sh-sdhi: 1 In: serial Out: serial Err: serial Net: ravb Hit any key to stop autoboot: 3 Quickly hit any key to get into U-boot command prompt. Use SW9 ("Reset") to reboot the board when necessary.
You should see the following:
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0 =>
Configure U-Boot to boot over TFTP + NFS or from a micro SD card
Refer to Yocto page for steps necessary for running Yocto.
Use a micro-USB cable to connect to "Debug Serial 0". Serial settings are 115200 8N1.
* Kernel config: defconfig * Kernel image: arch/arm64/boot/Image * DTB: arch/arm64/boot/dts/renesas/r8a7795-salvator-x.dtb (for R-Car H3) * DTB: arch/arm64/boot/dts/renesas/r8a7796-salvator-x.dtb (for R-Car M3-W)
U-Boot boot command:
tftpboot 0x48080000 Image tftpboot 0x48f00000 r8a7795-salvator-x.dtb (for R-Car H3) tftpboot 0x48f00000 r8a7796-salvator-x.dtb (for R-Car M3-W) booti 0x48080000 - 0x48f00000
If you see the following strings, the firmware enables Lossy decomp feature. And, we cannot use the memory area from 0x54000000 to 0x56ffffff as Linux system memory.
NOTICE: BL2: Lossy Decomp areas NOTICE: Entry 0: DCMPAREACRAx:0x80000540 DCMPAREACRBx:0x570 NOTICE: Entry 1: DCMPAREACRAx:0x40000000 DCMPAREACRBx:0x0 NOTICE: Entry 2: DCMPAREACRAx:0x20000000 DCMPAREACRBx:0x0
- The bit 31 of "DCMPAREACRAx" is set to 1, this means the Lossy decomp feature is enabled.
- The lower 18-bits of "DCMPAREACRAx" means start address.
- This 0x540 in Entry 0 means that the start address is 0x54000000.
- The lower 18-bits of "DCMPAREACRBx" means end address.
- This 0x570 in Entry 0 means that the end address is 0x56ffffff.
- Tests:eMMC-8bit-width: Test the on-board eMMC with an 8 bit bus width
- Tests:SCIF-FIFO: Test SCIF FIFO behavior, using SCIF3 and HSCIF3 on expansion I/O connectors
- Tests:SDIO-KS7010: Test SDIO with a Spectec SDW823 microSD card (using an SD size adapter) on connectors CN13 or CN14
- Tests:SDIO-H3-Voltage-Switching: Test if voltages change properly when inserting UHS capable SD cards into connectors CN13 or CN14
- Tests:Watchdog-Pretimeout: Test watchdog pretimeouts. Because the hardware watchdog (RWDT) doesn't support this feature, a software watchdog must be used in addition