Raspberry Pi Programming
Back to the Hub.
Software & Distributions:
Software - an overview.
Distributions - operating systems and development environments for the Raspberry Pi.
Kernel Compilation - advice on compiling a kernel.
Performance - measures of the Raspberry Pi's performance.
Programming - programming languages that might be used on the Raspberry Pi.
Programming languages, IDEs, etc
Tested on Alpha board
- Mono (C#)
- Python 
- Ruby 1.9.2 (KidsRuby)
Expected to work
- (maybe) BoaConstructor
- Anjuta for C/C++
- BBC BASIC
- Small Basic
- Squeak implementation of Smalltalk
- Other BASIC variants common to Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora etc. are all likely to work fine, including:
- Regina Rexx
- GalaxC programming language and XXICC "Chicken Coop" environment (works in progress)
See also: RaspberryPiBoard/EducationalLinks for education-friendly languages.
- Gambas - possibly a good choice; easy like old visual basic
- Android App Inventor
- Star Logo
- PrimerLabs CodeHero
Would Be Great If These Worked
- wvdial -- Dialer for Land-line, GSM, UMTS modems and other serial devices.
- Sugar Learning Platform: An alternative to the Desktop metaphor of the GUI
- Frink - A language that tracks units of measure through all calculations. If Java works, Frink will work. Frink runs under any version of Java 1.1 or later. Can work without GUI, with AWT GUI, or with Swing GUI.
See also Category:Education