RPi VNC Desktop sharing
Back to RPi Guides.
Raspberry Pi VNC Desktop Screen Sharing
What does it do?
This guide will help to install vnc to control your running/active desktop remotely, so what the Raspberry Pi is showing on screen will show in the VNC viewer.
What do you need?
- A Raspberry Pi, model B.
- A boot SD card for the Raspberry Pi.
- A network connection (Ethernet or WiFi).
- Special software on both the Raspberry Pi and the remote, controlling computer
What skill level is required?
This project does not require any coding or compilation. Very basic Linux and networking knowledge would be useful, but not essential.
You need to...
- Install software
- Enter basic Linux commands
- Use standard software tools (Windows/Linux/Mac) to add software to your PC
How does it work?
The commands described below resume a "virtual" graphical session. It allows a user to control mouse, keyboard and screen on a remote Raspberry Pi.
Overview of this project
You need to
- Install x11vnc (Virtual Network Computing) server software on the Raspberry Pi
- Create autostart entry
- Install a VNC client on another computer
- Connect over a network from your computer to the Raspberry Pi
Log in to your Pi and install the Vino Package
$ sudo apt-get install x11vnc
The following command will add a password to the VNC server (Raspberry Pi)
$ x11vnc -storepasswd
Now to create the autostart entry
$ cd .config $ mkdir autostart $ cd autostart $ nano x11vnc.desktop
Paste following text:
[Desktop Entry] Encoding=UTF-8 Type=Application Name=X11VNC Comment= Exec=x11vnc -forever -usepw -display :0 -ultrafilexfer StartupNotify=false Terminal=false Hidden=false
Save and exit (Ctrl-X, Y, <Enter>)
Now x11vnc will start when lxde starts.
Thanks to emg for providing the instructions.