Shared Embedded Linux Distribution
This page describes the CE Workgroup "Shared Embedded Linux Distribution" project
- This is a project to use Debian packages with the Yocto Project
- Goal is to share the work of maintaining long-term support for an embedded distribution, by leveraging the work of the Debian project
- See "Poky meets Debian: Understanding How to Make an Embedded Linux by Using an Existing Distribution's Source Code" talk at ELC 2015 by Yoshitake Kobayashi
[describe purpose of project]
How to use
$ git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git $ cd poky $ git checkout daisy $ git clone https://github.com/meta-debian/meta-debian.git $ cd meta-debian $ git checkout daisy
Please don't forget to install essential packages into your host system before you bitbake something. See Yocto Project's web site for this information 
Setup build directory
$ export TEMPLATECONF=meta-debian/conf $ source ./poky/oe-init-build-env
You can change the target machine by setting MACHINE variable in local.conf to one of the following machines.
- qemux86, qemux86-64, qemuarm, qemuppc
Bitbake kernel and tiny rootfs
$ bitbake core-image-minimal
Run the build image on Qemu
Please run the following commands after bitbake core-image-minimal finishes.
(qemux86) $ runqemu qemux86 nographic bootparams="init=/init root=/dev/sda" (qemux86-64) $ runqemu qemux86-64 nographic bootparams="init=/init root=/dev/sda" (qemuarm) $ runqemu qemuarm nographic bootparams="init=/init console=ttyAMA0" (qemuppc) $ runqemu qemuppc nographic bootparams="init=/init"
The shell prompt appears automatically after system boots without login. "init=/init" means that kernel uses tiny-init script as the init process instead of busybox /sbin/init.
- "Poky meets Debian: Understanding How to Make an Embedded Linux by Using an Existing Distribution's Source Code" talk at ELC 2015 by Yoshitake Kobayashi
- "meta-debian: Extending Yocto Project's Poky for building Debian-based embedded system" talk at LinuxCon Japan 2015 by Kazuhiro Hayashi