- 1 Introduction
- 2 Transfer ELC and ELC Europe presentations to this wiki
- 3 Subjects to Research
- 4 Volunteering to improve the wiki
- 5 Resources for volunteers and wiki administrators
- 6 Ideas to encourage contributions
- 7 Donations
To help add or modify material in the wiki, you need to know a few basics about editing. See the Editing Quickstart Guide for a short introduction to editing pages.
It is preferred that you create an account, so we know who you are when edits are made. This includes adding content to your User page. If your Username appears colored red, your User page does not yet exist. Please add something/anything to this page. The reason this is important:
- Annually, we run a script to cull non-active Users from the database. The criteria is quite simple: cull all Users with zero Edits. Therefore, adding something/anything to your User page will ensure you are not deleted from the database.
See below for various ideas for things to edit on the site.
Transfer ELC and ELC Europe presentations to this wiki
A lot of good presentation material from previous Embedded Linux Conferences is stored on the CELF public wiki. That site has been deprecated as a place for new materials, and has rather weird download attributes, due to it being based on the MoinMoin wiki engine (that is, it requires weird URLs for documents, and multiple clicks to download things).
I'd like to get all the presentations currently on the CELF wiki moved over here so they can be linked easily from related topic pages here.
Here are a list of CELF wiki pages that I think should be moved. Feel free to check off the items on this list as they're moved:
- Tech Conf 2005
- ELC 2006 Presentations - this one is done!
- ELC 2007
- ELC Europe 2007
- ELC 2008
- This is not on the public wiki, but on celinux.org. But these should be moved also.
- ELC Europe 2008
- ELC 2009
- berkus created the page for this ELC 2009 Presentations the ELC 2010 wiki BOF, but didn't move the documents
- ELC Europe 2009
Subjects to Research
List here pages or subjects you'd really like to see explored on the wiki:
Volunteering to improve the wiki
Below please find links to various pages with information and ideas for content and feature additions to the eLinux wiki.
(Various lists have crept up over the years, lets try to gather links to them here:)
Lists of editor tasks:
- Volunteer editor tasks
- Embedded wiki issues list
- Create Wanted pages
- See also Special:Wantedpages
A lot of wanted pages are just dangling links from the Help pages, for pages that were not created when we initially set up the wiki. I think most of these types of pages can just be set to stubs. Alternatively, we can look at the MediaWiki site and copy the page from their site for these dangling help examples.
Another big set of wanted pages are for links between pages that were copied from the old CELF public wiki to here. This was done with some automated tools, which I think made some errors in the translation from MoinMoin to MediaWiki. If the legacy CELF page exists in this site, the link on the "requesting" page just needs to be repaired. If there is not matching page, then the link should just be removed.
Just for fun, I'm keeping track over time of some metrics:
Wanted page count history
|Date||Wanted page count|
|Dec 12, 2008||233|
|April 6, 2009||241 (why up?)|
|April 15, 2010||122|
Why do these stats occasionally rise? On occasion, the Help pages are re-imported to pick up new pages. This can cause increases in Wanted Pages when the new pages have new page links on them that are not yet present in the new pages set.
To de-orphan a page, follow the link to the page, and create a link to it from an appropriate other page in the wiki. Before doing that, check to make sure that the information on the page is not duplicated somewhere else in the wiki (maybe by doing a search). Alternatively, sometimes the information can be copied from the orphan to someplace else, and the orphan removed. If you copy the information to somewhere else, just edit the orphan to make it empty, and add the page name to the list here, and an administrator will remove the page.
List of empty orphan pages:
- <put page name here>
Orphan page count history
|Date||Orphan page count|
|Dec 12, 2008||122|
|April 6, 2009||134 (what the heck?)|
|Dec 2, 2009||89|
|Dec 9, 2009||30|
Lists of administrator tasks:
- Elinux issues - miscellaneous ideas of things to do
Resources for volunteers and wiki administrators
To communicate with other elinux wiki volunteers, editors and administrators, please join our
- Mailing list
- History page - has information about how we got here and why. Also, has links to pages used for previous activities, like contests and promotions.
Ideas to encourage contributions
systems to facilitate exiting content review
- create email system that people can subscribe to, to review wiki pages a little at a time
systems to facilitate addition of content
- ability to bounce an LKML email to a collector, possibly adding a tag
- collector would post to wiki, with tag
- ability to forward and LKML email to a site, which returns you a URL (on e.g. lkml.org) for that message
- This makes it easier to link to an LKML message or thread.
- ability to rate LKML messages on a web site
We don't really have an official mechanism for donations of money.
We are, however, looking for donations of items we can use for prizes for some of our upcoming contests. Embedded Linux-based products, or tools or books related to embedded Linux, would be most appreciated.
Tim is available at: tim (dot) bird (at) am (dot) sony (dot) com. Bill is available at: wmat (at) alphatroop (dot) com.