View source for Talk:Linux Drivers Device Tree Guide
|Thread title||Replies||Last modified|
|Ideas for guide content||1||13:18, 12 May 2015|
|outline||0||13:13, 12 May 2015|
|audience||1||13:08, 12 May 2015|
Here are some miscellaneous ideas for content for the DT guide, and random other material as well:
- schema checker
- basic types: strings, u32s, arrays
- when to use vendor qualifier
- papers, presentations and articles
Some specific questions (from Device-tree documentation project)
1. What is a phandle? How is it used? What rules are there for defining them? For referencing them?
2. How are #foo-cells used?
3. What are the rules for naming attributes? when should vendor qualifiers be used and when not?
4. How does device-tree interact with device instantiation - when is the device node created?, who creates it, when is the initcall called? when is the probe function called?
5. How does device-tree interact with platform/bus instantiation? Do buses instantiate their children device nodes, or does the probe routine do this?
6. what is the kernel API for interacting with device-tree? What things are parsed automatically, vs. require manual (coded) parsing?
You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reasons:
- The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Users.
- You must confirm your email address before editing pages. Please set and validate your email address through your user preferences.
You can view and copy the source of this page.
The main audience for the guide is Linux device driver developers.
A secondary audience is sub-system maintainers, who want to know more, specifically, about guidelines for bindings.